• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Coxylaads MT-RX  (Read 30330 times)

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
Re: Coxylaads MT-RX
« Reply #634 on: 19:22 - 12 June, 2019 »
Could do. Would be interesting to see what temps brake fade starts to come in
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #633 on: 16:57 - 12 June, 2019 »
What about brake temperatures?

And you would need to buy Gaz a brolly too.

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #632 on: 16:49 - 12 June, 2019 »
I was having a brain storming session, about how to develop this as a package.  Not really with the aim of making money, but bringing proper datalogging to the masses without costing thousands.

The data channels I would like to record on the completed logger would include:

GPS location data - £35.00
Speed - FOC
rpm - £1.50
brake pressure/switch - FOC
throttle position - FOC
front wheel speed - ~£5.00
rear wheel speed - ~ £5.00
lean angle - £13.00
G force - Rolled in with the above £13.00
front fork movement - not sure
rear shock movement - not sure
tyre temperature - £2.50

I think that was about it.  That's pretty much a full data logging package. I am not too bothered about things like suspension movement but if you were a racer it would be useful information.

The hardware for the above is surprisingly cheap, under £70.00 for the lot of that. It would have way more connectivity than some of those AIM loggers that cost over 2 grand!

If you can think of anything else that would be of interest to a track day goer or racer let me know.

I am also thinking of a spin off for the TDM, and developing an LCD dash that interprets all this information and can do stuff like sat nav etc. Data acquition and display for your more discerning adventure rider  :banana
If buy one! And I don't mean the lycra suite with the bottom cut out. I've got one.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #631 on: 15:59 - 12 June, 2019 »
I was having a brain storming session, about how to develop this as a package.  Not really with the aim of making money, but bringing proper datalogging to the masses without costing thousands.

The data channels I would like to record on the completed logger would include:

GPS location data - £35.00
Speed - FOC
rpm - £1.50
brake pressure/switch - FOC
throttle position - FOC
front wheel speed - ~£5.00
rear wheel speed - ~ £5.00
lean angle - £13.00
G force - Rolled in with the above £13.00
front fork movement - not sure
rear shock movement - not sure
tyre temperature - £2.50

I think that was about it.  That's pretty much a full data logging package. I am not too bothered about things like suspension movement but if you were a racer it would be useful information.

The hardware for the above is surprisingly cheap, under £70.00 for the lot of that. It would have way more connectivity than some of those AIM loggers that cost over 2 grand!

If you can think of anything else that would be of interest to a track day goer or racer let me know.

I am also thinking of a spin off for the TDM, and developing an LCD dash that interprets all this information and can do stuff like sat nav etc. Data acquition and display for your more discerning adventure rider  :banana

___________________ __

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #630 on: 15:27 - 12 June, 2019 »
especially seeing as though the suit I have for him has the bottom cut out.
___________________ __

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #629 on: 10:07 - 12 June, 2019 »
Stop now Coxy. Nobody wants to see Gaz in Lycra!

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #628 on: 22:47 - 11 June, 2019 »
Nice one Coxy, was waiting for this bit to be resurrected! Was looking at race chronono etcm ages ago, I can overlay my garmin logs on with that...and some obd data too for er car stuff). Never got round to it....!
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #627 on: 22:33 - 11 June, 2019 »
Mega - You’re something like John Britten there in your garage!

In Racer magazine last issues was an interesting article on data. Factory data for Dovi. Manipulated and simplified I’m sure for commercial secrecy. It showed Dovi circulating Quatar. It showed brake temp and pressure for the front and how that ends and the throttle is snapped open - they’re either slowing or going faster, there is nothing else. Whilst the throttle is snapped open the rear brake is often applied to help fine tune and retard wheeling and spin (even with all that data processing the rider is still working hard). The data is giving precise GPS, lean and g-force and all sorts of other things not in the article. Two years ago Racer was reporting the Ducati winter test machine covered in sensors (Ducati arguably are the best factory team to have exploited the control ECU). They had sensors measuring suspension extension and compression in relation to swing arm and fork twist and tyre temp and tyre grip. Sounds like you’re getting close to your own GP team and us seeing Gaz on the grid in your sponsors one piece Lycra cat suit
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #626 on: 11:36 - 11 June, 2019 »
yep, and stuff like rolling off the throttle coasting before you start to brake. I believe I am quite tidy with this type of stuff, but I will find out for certain shortly ha
___________________ __

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
« Reply #625 on: 11:04 - 11 June, 2019 »
Sounds great.  I guess also seeing where you might do things out of habit might be good, e.g. 'comfort' braking etc

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #624 on: 10:58 - 11 June, 2019 »
Sounds great.

Does the app help you analyse the data and recommend changes or more just a processing tool.  For example seeing when I braked I still wouldn't have a clue if that was good or bad, or is it a case of overlaying on an image of the track and simply seeing your line with the braking / acceleration areas and getting a feel for where you can push harder?

it doesn't give advice, it just tells you how it is. The good part comes when the guys you are riding with have the same setup and we start to compare riding styles, where we are quicker/slower, how hard/late/long we are braking, lines through corners etc.

Its all just fun and we arent racing, but a big part of the fun is improvement and feeling like you are getting the most out of your bike. Afterwards we always talk and we tell each other what we are doing on track, but often what we think we are doing is not actually what we are doing, this will remove any doubt as to what is happening.

another thing I am looking at doing is fitting an infrared heat sensor to the front and rear mudguard to show what the tyre temps are. that's a move away from the data logging and more into safety features.

___________________ __

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #623 on: 09:13 - 11 June, 2019 »
What board is that Cozy, is it an Arduino clone?

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
« Reply #622 on: 08:41 - 11 June, 2019 »
Sounds great.

Does the app help you analyse the data and recommend changes or more just a processing tool.  For example seeing when I braked I still wouldn't have a clue if that was good or bad, or is it a case of overlaying on an image of the track and simply seeing your line with the braking / acceleration areas and getting a feel for where you can push harder?

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #621 on: 06:27 - 11 June, 2019 »
Cool.  :cool

:eat

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #620 on: 23:08 - 10 June, 2019 »
Well, eventually I will get a stepped yoke manufactured so I can play with some adjustability with the height of the front end, but for now I have fitted my steering damper. I built all the mounts for this when I put the frame together but I never installed it as I didn't want the damper to hide any flaws in the setup:

Ready to go on the 27th. Just waiting for the part on my slipper clutch to arrive from indianapolis!

Also ready to go on the 27th will be my DIY data logger. I've been wanting to play with this stuff for a long time now and between myself and my father in law we now have a working tested prototype:

Initally will be recording GPS coordinates 10 times per second, this is the back bone of the job and that job is completed.

Phase 2 is to interleave the a message string containing various channels of data from the telemetry of the bike.
First ones we are going to shoot for are brake switch (on/off) throttle position, and engine RPM.

I think these values are the most important for data analysis so you can see when you applied the brakes, and how hard you applied them through a derived channel of brake switch and rate of change of speed on gps signal.  you will know your mid corner speeds and how early you got on the throttle, and how early you achieved full throttle. All important information for bragging to your mates.

I stalled with this project as the complexity is not really in the gathering of the data, its in the interpretation, processing and display of it. I just did not have the massive amount of time to invest in developing software to log and process the data.  Fortunately there is an app you can buy now on your phone that does all the heavy lifting of this process, called Race Chrono. Its been developed to take signals from a racedac (data acquisition controller)  and allow you to analyse your performances, sector times, braking zones, gear selection etc etc.  and you can also overlay this information on top of a video if you want to. I am building a dac to basically interrogate all the telemetry and through it via race chrono on my phone via a blue tooth chip. good stuff.

« Last Edit: 10:49 - 11 June, 2019 by CoxyLaad »
___________________ __