• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Readie's Blog - or didn't we have a luv-er-ly day, the day we went to the races!  (Read 373394 times)

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
Went for a ride yesterday afternoon along with every other ba :censored rd  in their car. The twisties were generally clear so that was nice. A clean, tyre pressures, chain lube & tension beckons... that’s all a bike in spec needs!

Spent the morning watching The GP’s. My money was on Canet and his bike failed. My money was on Fernandez and I think he’ll have a 3 place penalty next race. My money was on Quatararo and he was robbed by the biggest loser of last lap duels Marc Marquez only because Fabio has no racecraft. Yet...
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Briefly, it was a speed dating night

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
you weren't sat next to each other were you?
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
I was in the pub when I read it

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
I think I was in the pub when I wrote that ;)
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
we are all adults responsible for our own actions.

That's a bit of a stretch
___________________ __

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
Don't know what the targeted advertising algorithms are but this showed up in the thread about dangerous riding

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PMSL... That's quite good really :)

I have an adblocker... :0)

What you're saying about the overtake on track is right, CL. At Snetterton when I was being passed at the end of the two straights (when the pass was close) I did find myself looking hard for my line and trying to ignore the bike immediatel in front or crossing my line because it was me being overtaken and not the other way around and hence not me that "has control" of the immediate track space available. Keep calm and carry on is sort of what I was thinking. I haven't had this at other tracks because Snetterton has those two big straights which let the big sports bikes get their 160bhp unleashed. The first couple of times I was thinking "f  :censored ck me" and for the first time for sure I was drawn by the passing rider and watching them before quickly looking away and back to where I was going. That was at the end of the Hanger Straight. Very wide with lots of tarmac run off. I was quickly offline. That was first or second session. For the remaining sessions as we lined up to go out "stick to your line and hold your ground". Nothing aggressive in a do or die position on track just a note to myself to be confident in my line that I need to take and just let others do what they're doing around me and pay no attention to it. I'm on a trackday and learning the track and the Strumpet on track. If I were a racer I would be thinking about my line, speed, etc to block or pass others. I am not a racer! So I don't need to add that complexity to my thinking.

The road situation is very different. I've always preferred to toad ride alone. SJ suits me because I am leading the route we take. Road riding is hard enough to keep yourself safe with the endless and ever hanging hazards we face without further complicating it by riding with a person or persons with whom you're uncomfortable because that is in effect ensuring a hazard is then present throughout the full duration of the ride. That forces you to think and plan your own actions differently. In my book that means headspace is unnecessarily given to others to protect yourself so the obvious solution is not to ride with them.

The coincidence with "the giant" was an immense déjà vu.. I stopped contact with a mate with whom I had shared a good many trackdays, race spectating, race bets, beers and road rides. But when my daughter was on the way it had to end. He had a deep anger management issue. There are many examples I could write up here - from funny to scary. The most apt is a trackday at Donington. We were in the novices in a big gaggle of 10 or 15 riders going into Redgate first or second lap with my mate a couple of bike lengths ahead. From behind came a bike that passed us all gently weaving before turning in and gracefully pulling away. My mate did appear momentarily unsettled as his machine "twitched". At the end of the session he wasn't in our garage so I rode along until I found him in the organisers garage. My mate is 6'2" and 17.5st. There he was screaming his head off at a 5'6" 10st bloke about the overtake that "could have fu  :censored ing taken me out". The smaller bloke stood calmly. The small bloke was an instructor. A previous national and international champion Mike "Spike" Edwards. Perspective...!

Horses for courses innit. I like SJ because it is just that, everyone does their own thing because until we get in the pub we are all adults responsible for our own actions. That's not to say we don't look out for each other because we very much do.
Gary.

TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
I have an adblocker... :0)

What you're saying about the overtake on track is right, CL. At Snetterton when I was being passed at the end of the two straights (when the pass was close) I did find myself looking hard for my line and trying to ignore the bike immediatel in front or crossing my line because it was me being overtaken and not the other way around and hence not me that "has control" of the immediate track space available. Keep calm and carry on is sort of what I was thinking. I haven't had this at other tracks because Snetterton has those two big straights which let the big sports bikes get their 160bhp unleashed. The first couple of times I was thinking "f  :censored ck me" and for the first time for sure I was drawn by the passing rider and watching them before quickly looking away and back to where I was going. That was at the end of the Hanger Straight. Very wide with lots of tarmac run off. I was quickly offline. That was first or second session. For the remaining sessions as we lined up to go out "stick to your line and hold your ground". Nothing aggressive in a do or die position on track just a note to myself to be confident in my line that I need to take and just let others do what they're doing around me and pay no attention to it. I'm on a trackday and learning the track and the Strumpet on track. If I were a racer I would be thinking about my line, speed, etc to block or pass others. I am not a racer! So I don't need to add that complexity to my thinking.

The road situation is very different. I've always preferred to toad ride alone. SJ suits me because I am leading the route we take. Road riding is hard enough to keep yourself safe with the endless and ever hanging hazards we face without further complicating it by riding with a person or persons with whom you're uncomfortable because that is in effect ensuring a hazard is then present throughout the full duration of the ride. That forces you to think and plan your own actions differently. In my book that means headspace is unnecessarily given to others to protect yourself so the obvious solution is not to ride with them.

The coincidence with "the giant" was an immense déjà vu.. I stopped contact with a mate with whom I had shared a good many trackdays, race spectating, race bets, beers and road rides. But when my daughter was on the way it had to end. He had a deep anger management issue. There are many examples I could write up here - from funny to scary. The most apt is a trackday at Donington. We were in the novices in a big gaggle of 10 or 15 riders going into Redgate first or second lap with my mate a couple of bike lengths ahead. From behind came a bike that passed us all gently weaving before turning in and gracefully pulling away. My mate did appear momentarily unsettled as his machine "twitched". At the end of the session he wasn't in our garage so I rode along until I found him in the organisers garage. My mate is 6'2" and 17.5st. There he was screaming his head off at a 5'6" 10st bloke about the overtake that "could have fu  :censored ing taken me out". The smaller bloke stood calmly. The small bloke was an instructor. A previous national and international champion Mike "Spike" Edwards. Perspective...!

Online celticbiker

• Hot Cross Bun
  • Like a post? 46
Don't know what the targeted advertising algorithms are but this showed up in the thread about dangerous riding

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
If there's a scootertwat hassling me or being silly in traffic trying to get his pizza delivered or whatever, I just get out the way, I'd rather see what the tw@t is doing in front of me than guess what he might do behind me.
Gary.

TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
a note on overtaking, I totally agree with the perception thing. I have seen a good overtake on track result in the guy being overtaken shitting a brick and running off the track. Wasn't the overtakers' fault, he was considered careful and swift. At some point the responsibility for handling the bike falls back to yourself. If you don't have the ability to deal with situations like the above then I suggest maybe you are either a) travelling too fast for your ability, or b) don't have the skills to process sudden events and deal with the unknown.  Its easy for another bike to take your eye line and drag you via invisible tether to the outside of the track. Its recognising that and being able to do something about it without being frozen with terror.

All that transposes to riding on the roads.

That said I have  cousin who I no longer ride with as I regard him as very dangerous and on borrowed time. His main trick is when we are on a roads moving through lines of reasonably fast moving traffic - normally you go past a car or 2, tuck in for oncoming traffic, then when possible you move again for the next overtake. and everyone does this in sequence behind you at various rates. What he does and thinks is perfectly acceptable is to overtake a bike that is making progress moving through the traffic. On numerous occasions different members of our group have been starting an overtake only for him to flash past from behind overtaking cars, bikes, the lot.  Its not easy to look for gaps in oncoming traffic whilst simultaneously scanning your mirrors for fast moving bikes approaching from the rear. We have had words, he wont accept that there is anything wrong with that, and he wont even accept that I personally don't like and have asked him not to do it to me. Therefore he got this  :bird1
___________________ __

Online celticbiker

• Hot Cross Bun
  • Like a post? 46
Careful out there, weather supposed to be s**te tomorrow

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Been a long week at work and tomorrow I need to get to a site to look at a load of crushed rock to assist in determining if our company has been deceived by our sub-contractor. To assist my own thinking I’ll be on the bike

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Wow.... I’d forgotten that existed. I rode in London growing up and dispatched for a year. I lived in Birmingham for 3 years and used it again then. I am much slower now when filtering and am usually at walking pace above the adjacent vehicle speed. I still have that close peripheral vision thing looking for the movement and “body language” of cars around me. But I think I’d be shite back in a city combing narrow gaps, poor road surface, manoeuvrability and pedestrians.

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
Think it's a symptom of long term city commuting as you need to scan nearby so much.

I still do it too much too and I reckon it's still from years ago commuting in London.