• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Zippy's House DIY Thread....  (Read 259 times)

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
Re: Zippy's House DIY Thread....
« Reply #19 on: 18:38 - 26 May, 2019 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdAC6Zw4JdE

This bloke (I've skimmed the vid on silent at work) has poured some PVA into the cracks and screwed the floorboards down... :dontknow:

well he's fu  :censored ing moron.

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #18 on: 20:12 - 23 May, 2019 »
Photograph the board and post the pic and all the other bits - it's much easier to offer "advice" to turn you into a competent bodger and give you the confidence to get yourself down to Screwfix and loudly discuss the odd item you're ordering for the simple job that needs doing! 
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #17 on: 15:08 - 23 May, 2019 »
Congratulations both. I'm going to go off-topic here and offer some proper advice  :snore.
If it's ye olde tongue & groove floorboards, the most likely cause of the creaking is that they were lifted to fit pipes, or cables and then put back badly.

Ah yes, that’s a good point, I’ll lift a board and see what sort it is. We don’t have any carpet upstairs, or on the stairs, so there’s nothing to dampen the creaking! Does make it easy to see what’s what though. It seems to be just when they flex between supports…I’ll have a fiddle.

Finally, the most important tip for any new house DIYer is that every job is an opportunity to buy new tools, ideally power tools. This can be justified by referring you other half to the money saved by not getting an expensive tradesman in  :cool After 35 years of home ownership I now have a shed, a storeroom and a garage full of tools I seldom use  :thumb

Don’t worry about the buying tools, I’ll be doing plenty of that. After years of fiddling with bikes and cars, I have very much learnt how valuable the correct tool for the job is. Muddling on with some recent house stuff with just my “emergency car toolbox” feels very cack handed…

Or as an alternative, when I bought my house my dad gave me a load of his tools as an excuse to buy new ones himself.  :thumb

That's an exceptionally good idea!  :ohyeah

As a side note, have a knackered gate post (brickwork literally about to fall over). I've hopefully got hold of some galvanised palisade fence gate posts to replace them!
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline

Online ChrisG

• Banana Cake
  • Like a post? 93
« Reply #16 on: 14:44 - 23 May, 2019 »
Or as an alternative, when I bought my house my dad gave me a load of his tools as an excuse to buy new ones himself.  :thumb

Offline Matlock

• Scone
  • Like a post? 10
« Reply #15 on: 09:49 - 23 May, 2019 »
Congratulations both. I'm going to go off-topic here and offer some proper advice  :snore.
If it's ye olde tongue & groove floorboards, the most likely cause of the creaking is that they were lifted to fit pipes, or cables and then put back badly. Lift the carpet, lino, whatever & take a look, have a good bounce on them to see what's moving. If there's gaps down the sides of the boards, missing nails, or uneven joins that's the problem.
No amount of snake oil or bodging will permanently fix this, they need to be replaced. Lift up all the damaged boards, measure how much you need to replace them all and trot down to your local timber merchant with a small sample. Since those damnable Frenchies made us go metric, you might find there's no exact replacement, but most timber merchants will be able to cut & plane some timber to the size you need. Don't worry about the tongue & groove bits, you just need board of the right dimensions. When you fit it, drill and countersink the boards and screw 'em in, with plenty of screws.Obviously avoiding those pipes and cables!!
If there's any boards that don't join directly over the centre of a joist, or if the joist where they join has a big notch in it for pipes, then screw in some blocks of timber either side of the joist to give more surface area for the boards to rest on. If there's any existing boards that join up between joists then make sure the replacements don't do the same, all joins must be over the centre of joists.
Finally, the most important tip for any new house DIYer is that every job is an opportunity to buy new tools, ideally power tools. This can be justified by referring you other half to the money saved by not getting an expensive tradesman in  :cool After 35 years of home ownership I now have a shed, a storeroom and a garage full of tools I seldom use  :thumb

Online BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #14 on: 09:36 - 23 May, 2019 »
Modern stairs are made of MDF (ours is anyway) and they creak more than the ones that's been there pre-war, despite all my patching with support brackets.
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline Vu Ja Dave

• I may have been here before..........
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 80
  • Best Owned: Raleigh Budgie
« Reply #13 on: 23:54 - 22 May, 2019 »
Congratulations young man. (and Lady)
Screw down the boards you can and you'll get used to the ones that still sqeak by avoiding them at night.
They also act as an intruder alert.

Online BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #12 on: 22:14 - 22 May, 2019 »
Congrats on the new home :)

Its an age thing, when you get to my age I creak louder than floorboards/stairs so I don't notice it..
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #11 on: 21:52 - 22 May, 2019 »
We put the bed together well (previously the screws had worked loose...!) :shock

It doesn't creak, but it does slide around on the floor a lot...
about.me/zippyonline

Online ChrisG

• Banana Cake
  • Like a post? 93
« Reply #10 on: 21:44 - 22 May, 2019 »
What about the bed, does that squeak?

I think that's the hamster not the bed squeaking.

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #9 on: 21:41 - 22 May, 2019 »
Thanks all for your wonderful help! :eat
about.me/zippyonline

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #8 on: 18:55 - 22 May, 2019 »
1. replace with concrete
2. shop
3. coat hanger
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #7 on: 18:40 - 22 May, 2019 »
What about the bed, does that squeak?

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #6 on: 17:18 - 22 May, 2019 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdAC6Zw4JdE

This bloke (I've skimmed the vid on silent at work) has poured some PVA into the cracks and screwed the floorboards down... :dontknow:

I'll need to do some testing I guess. The stairs creek too, I guess we'll see if we learn to blank it out or continue to annoy us!  :ohyeah
about.me/zippyonline

Online ChrisG

• Banana Cake
  • Like a post? 93
« Reply #5 on: 17:15 - 22 May, 2019 »
Put another layer of floorboards over the top at 90 degrees :D

So does this mean ET needs to start buying bikes to fill up all the garage space he's just gained?