• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Nogs FJ Restoration Project  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
Re: Nogs FJ Restoration Project
« Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 08:20 »
Not much to write about at the moment.

Have re-wired the old clocks back in but with the XJ speedo, so hopefully that will all work ok - shame I couldn't get the entire clocks to work with the digital clock, no big deal but would be a nice touch with the newer clocks.

Aside from that have just been getting all the little bits and pieces tidied up - painted the clutch piston housing and the front brake reservoir etc, all just tarting up stuff now before I torque all the frame mounts etc up to spec and then can start the cosmetic work to the fuel tank and plastics.  Shame we're getting into the cooler weather for when I'll be starting to paint, but it simply slows down the process rather than stops it.

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #83 on: 08:40 - 9 September, 2019 »
Made some good progress over the weekend.

Had the rear subframe re-painted and drying all week and fitted on Saturday, put all the battery tray and plastics back and wired the loom back into place.

(hope the picture works)

Had a slight delay in trying to find why I had a left over connector and after spending longer than I wanted checking the wiring diagram, realised I'd forgotten to put the sidestand sensor back on the bike (since the sidestand isn't back on yet)  :bag

Plugged it in and all looked good.  Stood back and realised that if I get the carbs sorted, I'm not far from a quick test fire just to make sure everythings working as expected before I go any farther in rebuilding it.

Carbs sorted and back on, oil in the engine and battery charged.

Fired instantly which shocked me (in a good way) but then my leg got covered in oil when I noticed a missing bleed screw in the oil filter housing - stopped the bike and sorted it.  Fired back up and more oil over my leg as the clutch rod shot out - since it's a hydraulic clutch and I hadn't put the piston housing back on, the rod was free to pop out from oil pressure.  Another quick stop, put the piston on and lets try again.

All working nicely and now holding oil where it's supposed to be.  The headers haven't been put on with any accuracy as they'll be coming off again so there's a little blow from them making some noise, but overall the engine seems to sound and run nicely, at least for a quick and dirty test run.

https://youtu.be/lZ0Q1gcc9jQ

It was tricky holding the camera and operating the carbs without choke and accelerator cables attached, so it eventually cut out, but you get the idea.

I noticed the rev counter wasn't working, so either I need to check the wiring, or the XJ900 clocks I got aren't as compatible as I'd been led to believe.  Either way, I bought them purely as the speedo in the original clocks isn't working and the worst case is I go back to the old clocks and just swap the speedo out.  Since it's mechanical I'm hoping there shouldn't be an issue with this.

Also noticed whoever bought the silencers must have gone for some cheapo items on ebay and just winged it, as they don't properly fit the link pipes - they have a wider internal diameter and they've used a lot of exhaust wrap to fill the gap.  The cans are Viper and decent enough, but I might have a go at making some collars or something to fit over the link pipes and bridge the gap.  I'm sure I can sort something better than filling with wrap.

Anyway, so far so good - now I can work on getting the bike mechanically rebuilt and then it's ready to begin the plastic repairs  :thumb

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #82 on: 21:13 - 12 August, 2019 »
Yup, good to get it up and running before you sort the bodywork. If you can just run it and then ride it for a simple 30 mile round trip with the tank and seat on it. Bit of urban and bit of A road to check it's all fluid tight, fuelling well, electrically ok and all nuts, bolts and steering are sorted so you can tweak and sort without messing with bodywork

Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #81 on: 19:23 - 12 August, 2019 »
Proper instruments. None of that digicrap stuff  :thumb

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #80 on: 09:37 - 12 August, 2019 »
Lol, it's to counter balance the rear indicators.

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #79 on: 08:57 - 12 August, 2019 »
look at the size of those clocks!!
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #78 on: 08:44 - 12 August, 2019 »
Been a bit quiet as I've just been doing loads of prep work on a few things in the background.

Been cleaning up the headlight subframe and given a fresh coat of paint, fitted clocks and headlight and looking ok.

Also had to rewire the clocks - as the speedo was kaput, I got some XJ900 clocks which are essentially the same, but as they're off a slightly newer model (with digital clock no less), the wiring is slightly different. 

The bulk of it is the same and should work ok, however in my original clocks there's 4 wires going to a little PCB in the housing.  This isn't present in the newer clocks, and not sure what this does, so have winged it a little and took the PCB out and wired the 4 wires to it so at least it follows the original wiring and will see what happens.  Worst case is I reuse the original clocks again and simply pop the XJ speedo mechanism in that one.  Have a spare live already for the clock so fingers crossed it should all work ok.

Have been tidying up the rear subframe, removing rust and loose paint, and will hopefully get around to paint that this week too and can start re-building the bike.

It's starting to feel like it's coming together but just got to stay patient and not rush anything as a long way to go yet, especially when i get to fixing the fairings.  I'm hoping in the coming month or so that I can have the carbs back on and at least give it a test run to make sure the engine and wiring is all working as it should before starting to work on the rest.

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #77 on: 09:12 - 2 August, 2019 »
Anything with surface rust, I tend to paint with a layer of rust neutraliser (BH hydrate 80, vactan etc.) before then painting for good. Just gives a bit more lifespan I find.

02-brackets by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #76 on: 08:39 - 2 August, 2019 »
Have been tarting up a few bits and bobs, no pictures but have painted the top yolk and also sorted the centre stand.

It was pretty grim with lots of surface rust etc, cleaned it all up to check it was structurally ok and the only issue was the 'feet' where they had worn a bit thin and were looking like the metal was cracking and had been dented inwards.  I've filled and built up a layer of weld over the feet and then smoothed it back flat with the grinder, so hopefully there should be plenty of life left.  A good blast with brake cleaner and now it's hanging in the garage with a nice coat of black paint.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #75 on: 17:53 - 1 August, 2019 »
Also make sure nothing can get in... capillary action say... Cos it won't drain out again so corrosion if it's around anything corrrrrodable.

Do it properly and it's good. And stick something harder over it if it's chaffing.   :confused:

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #74 on: 15:07 - 1 August, 2019 »
You have to be careful with SA tape, if you put it on something that is going to take a fair bit of rubbing (snarf) then it will wear through quite easily, so be careful around the headstock area.
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: 14:49 - 1 August, 2019 »
you can get it from screwfix pretty cheaply.

SA tape is a lot more flexibly than insulating tape when its bound up, it makes fitting everything a bit easier.

my entire loomed is wrapped in the stuff
___________________ __

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #72 on: 10:20 - 1 August, 2019 »
Nah just good old insulation tape.  I use SA tape where water might get in or there's maybe more potential for the heat to melt the insulation tape.  I might put the odd bit here and there along the loom to bind the insulation tape firmly but in the cooler area's around the headstock etc insulation tape is usually fine.

Also SA tape is bloody expensive compared to cheapo insulation tape and I'm a tight git  ;)

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: 10:10 - 1 August, 2019 »
Started laying the loom back out on the frame. Am stripping back the old crappy tape as it's obviously been repaired and bits added in places. Wiring looks ok underneath without too many surprises so at least that's a bonus.

Must admit, it's at this point I do wish I'd took more photos. Thought I'd taken loads but a tip for doing this again is you can never take enough photos when stripping it.

are you using self amalgamating tape? its good stuff, flexible, and once its wrapped it err,.. self amalgamates into into self leaving no joins.
___________________ __

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #70 on: 19:11 - 30 July, 2019 »
 :eat