• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Re: Coxylaads Road Bike Thread thing split off blog topic thingy  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
Re: Coxylaads Road Bike Thread thing split off blog topic thingy
« Reply #166 on: 21:22 - 6 December, 2018 »

It reminds me of the Mekon a bit...
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline CoxyLaad

• Jam Tart
  • Like a post? 31
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #165 on: 08:12 - 5 December, 2018 »
I have already chopped the front glass up to make the shroud so it fits in the hole. 

I would have gone that however I wouldn't be able to adjust the alignment once the glass is in place.

There's nothing in there that needs waterproofing, however I was considering using some sort of black mesh over the front just for the crack.
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!

Online Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 102
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
« Reply #164 on: 15:31 - 4 December, 2018 »
I'd be tempted to trim the headlight lens out of the unit and then fit it over the projectors to finish the look and weather proof behind the fairing.

Will mean losing the headlight for future use though I guess so depends on what you want long term or if you're selling the unit to recoup some cash back.

Offline CoxyLaad

• Jam Tart
  • Like a post? 31
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #163 on: 14:03 - 4 December, 2018 »
This project seems to be getting pulled back considerably in its scope.

I am now reduced to a lighting change, engine strip and paint, new exhaust fabrication, and if I am lucky some custom side panels. 

headlight part is about done:

Next job is to make a bracket for the new DRL that replaces that pointless parking light.

Then the engine comes out.
___________________ __

Offline CoxyLaad

• Jam Tart
  • Like a post? 31
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #162 on: 09:34 - 29 November, 2018 »
I will assess the situation when I pull the engine out the frame. I might do that at the weekend.
___________________ __

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #161 on: 23:42 - 28 November, 2018 »
My 2p's worth

On my Triumph I stuffed the crankcases with rags and "rasped the cases" to get a starter clutch to fit - a day off of work with a filed 10mm spanner to have something slim enough to tighten a nut on a spline end. An oily rag and a hoover sorted the swarf from entering the oil system.

A mate replaced the shell bearings on the crank of his TDM850 with the motor in-situ. He attacked the motor from the underside.

On my Triumph I took the engine out and stripped and cleaned it and re-assembled the "barrels" and head without the swearing and shouting that is normally part of Triumph "in-situ" work.

The first two examples are achievable but can make you question your sanity, logic and sense of reason

Offline celticbiker

• Hash Cake
  • Like a post? 44
« Reply #160 on: 19:24 - 28 November, 2018 »
Along those lines, I always used a well oiled rag .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline CoxyLaad

• Jam Tart
  • Like a post? 31
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #159 on: 14:43 - 28 November, 2018 »
its how I stop aluminium dust making its way into the bores is the problem.
I am thinking lining the inlet tract with grease and a tight fitting rag in each inlet. that way if any minute particles get past then they will be captured in the grease.
___________________ __

Offline celticbiker

• Hash Cake
  • Like a post? 44
« Reply #158 on: 14:05 - 28 November, 2018 »
Not checked that one because you would have to unwind it down to the choir to check so you only check when they go but they only last 40000 miles if they're bad and that one has been good so far.
You should be able to port the head easily enough so long as you can be sure you've got it all cleaned up after.

Offline CoxyLaad

• Jam Tart
  • Like a post? 31
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #157 on: 11:58 - 28 November, 2018 »
did you check the casting on this engine?

I will be taking the sides off shortly anyway so I will have a good look at it. I thought the stator wasnt a moving part?

I will check the clearances when the engine is on the floor.

I'm still 50 50 whether or not to attempt to fit these 42mm throttle bodies. It would mean I would have to match the port on the head to the shape of the new TB's. Question is, can I do that without removing the cylinder head...
___________________ __

Offline celticbiker

• Hash Cake
  • Like a post? 44
« Reply #156 on: 11:54 - 28 November, 2018 »
Never replaced the stator in that one but I did diagnose the over all problem with that issue. The ones that burned out were due to a bad casting of the core.
A rough edge or surface would wear through the paper base layer and cause a short.
If the core was fettled before a rewind it was OK after.
As for a rebuild, the engine should be solid. The only thing it will need is valve clearances but you might want to talk to tts first as it has re profiled cams in it iirc, so the clearances might be different from standard.

Offline CoxyLaad

• Jam Tart
  • Like a post? 31
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #155 on: 08:25 - 28 November, 2018 »
that's what I couldn't get my head around with carbs, how can you tune them when changing one thing has a huge ranging effect on everything in the local area  (of the map) around it. With injection if you have a flat spot then you just alter the values in those specific cells with virtually no effect on the rest of the map.

On a sidenote, one for CB - did you replace the stator on the TDM900? I am pulling the engine out and going to give it a good going over. It seems stator failure is a relatively common occurrence on high mileage 900s.

I was thinking of tearing the engine apart and going for a full rebuild, but I have been advised that as its running fine, just leave it alone.
I am going to do a compression test and if its good I will leave it at that. It doesn't smoke or even burn oil that I have noticed, although I have only done about 2000 miles on it since i acquired it. she's leading a pampered life
___________________ __

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #154 on: 11:39 - 24 November, 2018 »
EFI FTW  :D
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline

Online Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 102
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
« Reply #153 on: 11:02 - 24 November, 2018 »
Yeah the flexibility of modding fuel maps blows carbs out the water.

When I had the Daytona 955i, the open source mapping software was my first experience of fu  :censored ing about with mapping and was great to be able to change the character to a small extent without the pain of getting the carbs out and messing with jets etc - unfortunately a situation I'm in currently with the ZRX.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #152 on: 10:01 - 24 November, 2018 »
Especially when he really gets excited and properly gets in to it... :o

Having had my ecu’s “brain sucked out” and re-mapped and dyno’d for final setup my thinking on the precision electronic fuelling gives is transformed. When that’s combined with the next level of response needed on track that Coxy’s after with the ability to adjust it yourself I can’t help but laugh selfishly and think how we’ve come full circle. There’s a romantic view of carbs (which I hold dear for all those bikes I’ve owned) where the feel is lovely but earning that through jetting and adjustment takes time and experience to get even close to good when looking for power and response and has always ended with expert help and cash for dyno time.
Having a basic map with the “regulations” removed is a natural first step and to now be able to electronically adjust “cleanly & swiftly” is a small step for a man but a giant leap for a kind man in his bike shed. I’m assuming the auto tune facility helps fill any holes programmed in error relative to the Lambda?

« Last Edit: 17:10 - 24 November, 2018 by Readmarx »