• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Nogs FJ Restoration Project  (Read 2140 times)

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
Re: Nogs FJ Restoration Project
« Reply #35 on: 08:20 - 18 April, 2019 »
Nice one, will have a mooch around in there once cleaned up.

Just got to decide whether to simply hammer the new races in with the old ones, or play with making a puller out of ally and a length of threaded bar.

Offline Vu Ja Dave

• I may have been here before..........
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 80
  • Best Owned: Raleigh Budgie
« Reply #34 on: 23:15 - 17 April, 2019 »
I seem to remember on the TDM there was a wee notch in the frame so the bearing cup could be knocked out with a drift.
It was still a bugger to do.
Have a clean and rummage.

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #33 on: 21:05 - 17 April, 2019 »
Can't you hammer it from t'other side?
I have a blind bearing puller stuff too.
Be careful with the welding... in theory it will work as it will shrink the race...but then if it doesn't work, it will be a pain to cut off!

Swing arms look sminky by the way. Nice work.
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #32 on: 20:05 - 17 April, 2019 »
Yeah I noticed there is hardly any of the bottom race proud of the frame.  I've seen a tip online where a guy built up a decent glob of weld on the race so there's something to get purchase on and the heat helps to dislodge it.  Will look into that more.

Also the bottom stem race looks a right PITA - the manual even says don't bother replacing unless you have to, and if so use a puller or cutter.

Again will look up some tips on this - any tips welcome.  Is trying to split the race off the stem with a dremel grinding disk worth a shot or too risky in case of a slip?  It seems too risky but the thought popped in my head so wondering if it's a good idea or bloody stupid one.

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #31 on: 19:55 - 17 April, 2019 »
Spray looks good

Steering bearings... hate doing that... never had a bike that was easy to get the cups out of and always hate getting them off of the stem!
Mother Nature rides a biker

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #30 on: 19:48 - 17 April, 2019 »
Time for the front end to come off.  Stripped off calipers, wheel, forks and steering stem etc.

Not much left, you'd hardly believe a bike exists in 2 boxes and an assortment of jumble.

Steering stem felt a little notchy, checked the races and they look fairly worn, have ordered new bearings, only 20 quid for the lot so not worth messing about with.

Will clean the frame up while waiting for the bearings and get it ready to spray up.

Here's the lower frame rails before and after, really pleased with how they've come up  :)

The Simoniz Wheel Steel is really good paint for a silver frame, not a bad match and goes on great over the primer.

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #29 on: 19:49 - 14 April, 2019 »
Carbs had all the service guff replaced, just got to check/set float height and then can put to one side for the rest to get done.

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #28 on: 15:44 - 12 April, 2019 »
That's a great tip :)
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #27 on: 22:14 - 11 April, 2019 »
Having the right tool makes all the difference, she said.

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #26 on: 19:36 - 11 April, 2019 »
Well bugger me, put the punch on the pin, braced the posts and pushed to trigger the punch.  The pin dislodged instantly  :hello2

Got all 4 out so easily you'd think it was a tool specifically designed to do that job. Bloody brilliant tip that.

So at least can service the carbs now  :thumb

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #25 on: 08:22 - 11 April, 2019 »
Don't have sonic bath big enough, will try a blast and soak in carb cleaner.

Looking around online and people seem to really rate using a spring loaded centre punch on them.  Apparently the trick is to brace the posts with a socket or something, blunt the end of the punch so it doesn't spread the end of the pin, and then keep firing it in until it eventually starts to give.  I guess the idea is the punch isn't strong enough to break the posts and by being able to hold in one hand you can brace the back post enough to get the force to go through the pin better.

Got a punch being delivered today (Amazon special for a few quid) that comes with 3 tips so I can blunt one down specifically for the task.

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #24 on: 22:05 - 10 April, 2019 »
I’ve not had that before. Without a pic I’m stumped. I’ve only ever seen a pin securing a float through the body of the valve housing. The tolerance is generous as the floats move under such tiny forces of feud level. It was running when you got it and would go up and down Rev range and idle after that?
Mother Nature rides a biker

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #23 on: 15:33 - 10 April, 2019 »
In a bit of a pickle over the FJ carbs (more bloody carb issues).

I've got the service kit, new float valves, gaskets and o-rings etc.

Trouble is the float pins are stuck solid.  Been tapping away with a drift and hammer (gently) for ages the other night and getting no where.  Tried soaking in WD40, heating the posts, still not budging.

I don't want to risk getting too brutal with them as the posts are only weak castings and if they break it's game over.

So, do I just risk the old valves etc all being ok and simply leave as is or keep tapping away trying to free them up with the risk of damage - the carbs are becoming like rocking horse whatsit for these and cost a lot and then could be in the same boat, so really don't want to risk damaging them.  The age of the bike and carbs, I'd worry after putting back together the valves might leak and overfill the bowls, then it's all a PITA to get to again, so I'd like to change if I can.

Any tips / idea's?

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #22 on: 08:29 - 8 April, 2019 »
Work's slowed a little due to other bikes being a pain and needing work.  Have started some of the paint stripping / re-spraying though.

Cleaned up the frame lowers and got one primed and then sprayed.  Has come up nice, a little pitting still evident on close inspection but there's only so much turd polishing I can manage, overall it looks fine and is solid enough.

Will post up a before and after pic once I get the second one done - that's the side under the output sprocket so needs a fair bit of degreasing first.

The missus is away for a couple of days too, so I might bring the carbs into the house so I can put the new float valves etc in while watching TV  ;)  Will just have to hide any evidence  :wife

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #21 on: 09:24 - 1 April, 2019 »
Started attacked the frame with the wire wheel yesterday.  No pictures as it's basically looks the same, just without so much flaky paint on it.

Going to take longer than I thought to get the job done properly, did all the main easy to get to parts, but will need to get in with the dremel to get into all the little brackets and tight areas.

Got a bag of small scotchbright wheels for the dremel (well cheap dremel copy) which should hopefully do the job.

Once done can give the frame a wipe down with degreaser and then start respraying.  Painted the suspension linkage and came up nice, the 'steel wheel' paint is great stuff, good match for the colour and seems to cover well with a decent tough coating.