Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 1242 times)

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
Re: Brexit
« Reply #35 on: 13:06 - 17 April, 2019 »
The immigration issue is that pro-leave groups frightened many older voters with the thought of millions of Turks clogging up our GP surgeries, schools and benefits offices (even though Turkey hadn’t joined the EU).
Remember Fartage’s poster campaign showing thousands of swarthy looking foreigners marching (the implication was to the UK)? That terrified many older and lazy-thinking people, they believed the Leave campaign lies.
All we needed to do was not give benefits to anyone who hasn’t paid into the system for 5 years. That way the only people coming here would be wealthy or ready to work and contribute.

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
« Reply #34 on: 09:48 - 17 April, 2019 »
so the only thing left is immigration. I don’t believe that anyone here is racist

The idea of controlling immigration is being tied up too much with the idea of racism.

Everyone I know that voted leave agrees that it's foolish to want to stop immigration, in fact welcome it as we need skilled people coming in.  The point being we need 'skilled' workers.  A controlled immigration policy isn't to stop immigration at all.

Due to the fact that under the EU it's a free for all for any low skilled workers, they tried to control immigration which has actually made it harder for non-EU immigration, which is where a lot of the real skill comes from.  I don't see the issue with this, all other major non-EU countries work in a similar way to this but aren't deemed racist.

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #33 on: 09:29 - 17 April, 2019 »
It’s ‘hard border’ ET. A ‘hard boarder’ is a completely different thing...

Anyway, if the Irish border isn’t an issue, it means that any EU Nationals can get into the U.K. without border checks. That’s one of the sticking points. And as for China, that’s because of the trade deal that the EU made with China; once we leave it won’t be quite as simple as you think...
WTO rules are not made by elected representatives from the countries involved (unlike MEPs), they are a secretive club that dictates rules to anyone who wants to be a member. Can’t see how we’d be better off negotiating our own deals when we’ve already been heavily involved in negotiating EU trade deals which have been good for us.
So I can’t see trade as being a benefit to leaving, and the sovereignty argument is smoke’n’mirrors (unless you can name 10 EU laws that we can’t opt out of) so the only thing left is immigration. I don’t believe that anyone here is racist, so what else is there?
None of us are wealthy enough to want to avoid the EU financial transparency laws due imminently (although the owners of the newspapers you read may be)...
I’m confused and need help to understand. Why do you still want to leave?

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #32 on: 06:49 - 17 April, 2019 »
Europe is in a mess. Unemployment, and money wise. The UK is a huge economy, only Germany is on a par.

Being out doesn't mean not trading. Short term .. and only cos the govmint gave everything away, we'd be stuck on international trading rules, but we would also be free to trade withe whomever else we want... including China.

Although there economy is slowing. We're on the edge of another world recession ... nothing to do with Brexit, but typically 10year cycles. So I reckon we will slump anyway, Europe already has.

It's too big and cumbersome, they absolutely rely on our money. We have an extremely strong hand, and May has given it all away. They are hopeless.

The Irish backstop is a media political smokescreen, and is no more needed than the port control we have for Chinese goods coming in...oh wait. No they do the paperwork before they ship and there is no hard boarder. It's a farce.

Like I said earlier I think if we want to be aligned with Europe, the best arrangement is being In in. If we want to trade more extensively elsewhere, then we need to be free to do that. Out out.

A deal is a compromise for both, and is a shit option

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #31 on: 19:50 - 16 April, 2019 »
Yeah I wouldn't go that far, if it hurts them it's because we can't buy the shizzle we want, so hurts us too. Just think of the roads with no German motors on them........maybe not, but I do think we need a good trade deal, but not at the expense of Independence.

If we get a really soft brexit we'd be better off staying in and I think that's the issue at the moment.

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #30 on: 18:43 - 16 April, 2019 »
Why do they need us more than we need them?
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #29 on: 22:37 - 15 April, 2019 »
I differ on that. If you're in a trade deal with Europe you need to be in in...half in is pointless. or out out. Europe needs us more than we need them and it will find away to work they manage to trade with countries outside the EU without boarder patrols.. that is scaremongering...BU T. they need to work it out before they go out out. Out out without prep is moronic.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #28 on: 18:09 - 14 April, 2019 »
I don’t see the need for a public vote. More confusion, delay, cost, division. MP’s need to deliver the leave vote. They deliver with clear respect to the narrow decision and a divided Parliament. No deal is not an option. When it is done Cameron (and his cabinet) are to be hung at the Tower.
« Last Edit: 22:12 - 14 April, 2019 by Readmarx »

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #27 on: 10:57 - 13 April, 2019 »
Nah. The Labour guy on Q time said the question would be stay or TMs deal. No leave leave.

Offline Vu Ja Dave

• I may have been here before..........
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 80
  • Best Owned: Raleigh Budgie
« Reply #26 on: 00:11 - 13 April, 2019 »
What will the referendum question be?

Stay in the EU - revoke article 50 - without politicians, deals etc - same terms as current ones

Leave the EU (straight out without politicians splitting hairs)

ROLF

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #25 on: 00:10 - 13 April, 2019 »
First, there should be a 15 minute broadcast by Cameron to explain why he and his party thought a referendum would be a good idea and how they foresaw the outcome and how they planned to implement either outcome within the allotted timescale so as to protect the British people from chaos or uncertainty

Offline Sidestand

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 56
  • The Older I Get , The Better I Was
« Reply #24 on: 18:35 - 12 April, 2019 »

Stay in the EU - revoke article 50 - without politicians, deals etc - same terms as current ones

Leave the EU (straight out without politicians splitting hairs)

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #23 on: 15:10 - 12 April, 2019 »
I don’t care any more.

In fact, I hope that we leave ASAP to take the wind out of Hypocritical Bastard’s bicycle fart balloon.

The Brexit party won’t be a single issue party he says... Duuuuu... It’s meant to shake up the establishment. And he also says there’ll be ‘no more Mr Nice Guy’. I must have completely missed his ‘Nice Guy’ phase.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47907350

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #22 on: 08:23 - 12 April, 2019 »
The initial decision to leave shouldn't be overturned - although a referendum is 'advisory' they promised (for all that's worth) that the single outcome would be carried out and no going back.

Any further votes should only be on the deals, such as hard, soft or no deal.

Personally I wouldn't want a soft deal and end up like Norway, as we would be better off staying in as Norway has to do what the EU says but has no say in any policies.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #21 on: 07:31 - 12 April, 2019 »