• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Coxylaaaaaaad - TRX900  (Read 25483 times)

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 38
Re: Coxylaaaaaaad - TRX900
« Reply #607 on: 15:55 - 15 October, 2017 »
Tis a good modification well explained.  ;D

We all go to great lengths making our plugs clean and well gapped + good HT connections. I'm guessing any HT voltage loss will be compounded. As a youth I fitted an immobiliser switch through the +ve coil connection on my '69 mini resulting in rubbish starting and running. No problems when I move the switch to the neg side.
sure about that?

Not in every detail. One of us has lost a lot of brain cells in the last 32 years.  :-X
Not positive

I'm  positive it was negative, or visa versa.
That was a very neutral response

Offline Wavey Davey

• washed up on the beach
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 80
    • CMC Huge Member Map
« Reply #606 on: 00:39 - 15 October, 2017 »

We all go to great lengths making our plugs clean and well gapped + good HT connections. I'm guessing any HT voltage loss will be compounded. As a youth I fitted an immobiliser switch through the +ve coil connection on my '69 mini resulting in rubbish starting and running. No problems when I move the switch to the neg side.
sure about that?

Not in every detail. One of us has lost a lot of brain cells in the last 32 years.  :-X
Not positive then?

I'm positive it was negative, or visa versa.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 38
« Reply #605 on: 12:08 - 14 October, 2017 »

sure about that?

Not positive then?

Offline Wavey Davey

• washed up on the beach
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 80
    • CMC Huge Member Map
« Reply #604 on: 00:14 - 14 October, 2017 »

sure about that?

Offline Studley Ramrod

• Yule Log
  • Like a post? 21
  • Carpe Loiterer
« Reply #603 on: 10:15 - 13 October, 2017 »

Interesting mod, I'll be checking the coil voltage on my mk1.  Any improvement is a bonus.  :)

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 38
« Reply #602 on: 05:42 - 13 October, 2017 »

sure about that?

Offline Wavey Davey

• washed up on the beach
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 80
    • CMC Huge Member Map
« Reply #601 on: 00:23 - 13 October, 2017 »

Offline CoxyLaad

• Hash Cake
  • Like a post? 30
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #600 on: 14:01 - 12 October, 2017 »
Under normal running conditions (not starting) I can't see that half a volt or so will make much difference to a HT spark, just my unmeasured unqualified opinion.

A stronger spark is always an advantage, especially at big throttle openings. commuting - yeah you are probably right your not going notice a great deal.
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 86
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #599 on: 12:44 - 12 October, 2017 »
Under normal conditions I can't see that half an inch or so will make much difference, just my unmeasured unqualified opinion.

Some women will say that to make you feel a bit better, mate  :'(
« Last Edit: 19:12 - 12 October, 2017 by Readmarx »
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -42
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #598 on: 12:06 - 12 October, 2017 »
Under normal running conditions (not starting) I can't see that half a volt or so will make much difference to a HT spark, just my unmeasured unqualified opinion.
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
SV650S Blue
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Online Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 98
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
« Reply #597 on: 09:22 - 12 October, 2017 »
its the -ve side that is switched by the ecu to collapse the field and generate the spark.

Nice once, that's my "learnt something new" for today moment :)

I might do this mod, no issues but something to fettle is always good.

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 84
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #596 on: 09:18 - 12 October, 2017 »
Also worth making sure the leads are definitely not arcing out or inadvertently earthing. My Rex is quite sensitive to correctly working coils, so I have some 8.5mm magnecor leads and some extra loom protection to keep them away from each other. https://flic.kr/p/LqBB2Y
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer
about.me/zippyonline

Offline CoxyLaad

• Hash Cake
  • Like a post? 30
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #595 on: 09:12 - 12 October, 2017 »
you would be presuming wrong  :D

the +ve feed is constant, so a single 30amp cable split into 2 at the end and run to each coil is fine.

its the -ve side that is switched by the ecu to collapse the field and generate the spark.
___________________ __

Online Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 98
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
« Reply #594 on: 08:41 - 12 October, 2017 »
Sounds interesting, might measure my voltages at the coils to see what they are coming out at.  Presume it's one relay per coil?

Offline CoxyLaad

• Hash Cake
  • Like a post? 30
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #593 on: 08:19 - 12 October, 2017 »
this is a trick for the trx but seemed to help a lot on the tdm loom too. 

The +ve feed to the coils runs through various switches and connectors, resulting in a voltage drop at the coil. Some people are reporting voltages of 11v at the coil on the trx, but my TRX was only dropping 0.5 of a volt when i compared it to the voltage at the battery. 

So basically you take a 30amp automotive relay, and use the original coil +ve to drive the coil side of the relay (note thats the coil in the relay, not the actual coils) then run some 30amp cable from the battery terminals through the relay, and onto the +ve terminals of the coil.

the relay is triggered and activated by the old coil +ve and the voltage to drive the coils is driven straight from the battery.

I also put a new set of silicone HT leads on the bike so I cant say where the big performance gains came from, but between the two the bike felt a lot 'cleaner' through the rev range and pulled with a lot more vigour at the top end.

make sense?

« Last Edit: 10:52 - 12 October, 2017 by CoxyLaad »
___________________ __