Author Topic: FJ1200  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Duncan

• Cup Cake
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 23
  • Gone Bald Uptop
Re: FJ1200
« Reply #16 on: 20:30 - 7 April, 2013 »
But yours is nice, mine is a rusty semi abandoned project  :tink  May just drag it out of my sleep shed one day and attempt to do something with it.

To be honest, when I first started it I was full of enthusiasm and the project took on momentum, then the shit around the fecking folding camper knocked the wind out of my sails and I failed to carry on with it, when the company I worked for announced closure I took the other route buying first the Guzzi then trading that for the Harley and the problem for the FJ12 project was that the Harley ticked all the boxes for me, superb torque, comfortable riding position and that unmistakeable V twin sound  ;)

Having said that, I've cycled more mileage over the last three years than I've ridden on a motorcycle and, apart from a small ride up and down the road outside my house, I haven't ridden at all this year yet  :roll

Al, I'll have a look tomorrow to check if I kept the buffer rubbers off the side of the air scoops, not making any promises as I have a feeling they're gone but you never know

Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #15 on: 18:24 - 7 April, 2013 »
I've got one too!

Oh and by the way Daz, got your message, just working on something... I'll ring you soon!

Offline Duncan

• Cup Cake
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 23
  • Gone Bald Uptop
« Reply #14 on: 12:10 - 7 April, 2013 »
Y'know. I still have that FJ1200.....  :roll

Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #13 on: 12:50 - 4 October, 2010 »
that one is deffo too nice to rat  :yessir
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline petrust

• Hash Cake
  • Like a post? 93
« Reply #12 on: 16:07 - 30 September, 2010 »
 :tink  looks too nice to rat.......

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #11 on: 13:20 - 30 September, 2010 »
No.... though I was very tempted... it's a ready made winter hack/rat. Everything is suitably weathered and tatty. The engine sounded perfect, not a grumble, rattle, knock or noise.... just a solid turbine sound. Fornt fork seals on their way out (common for these heavyweights), rear tyre sidewall was splittng shwoing carcass - don't know why (though it was an Avon tyre) perhaps because it'd been laid up for a year or more on the sidestand...? chain and sprockets would need replacing in 500miles, clutch master cylinder was leaking fluid - caould be an o-ring or worse. Brakes were fine, electrics were fine, carbs needed thorough run and clean. I'm still thinking about it, but it'd need another £300 throwing at it... which for around £600 plus a bit more you can get something tidier...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1988-YAMAHA-FJ1200-WHITE-/290481642612?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item43a20e1c74

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #10 on: 06:36 - 24 September, 2010 »
Just reading this month's Classic Motorcycle Mechanics; there's a guy called Phil 'Doc' Hacker who runs the FJ club and has an 1100 racer which apparently puts out 165 horses from the back.

So did you buy it?

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #9 on: 14:41 - 17 September, 2010 »
ahhhhh... yess... I remember that blog of Daz's.. I think it stopped just when the chop was looking very interesting..

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #8 on: 14:37 - 17 September, 2010 »
Dazzo had one as a project I think  :tink

EDIT:

Yup, on closer inspection - here it is:

http://dashack.co.uk/go/index.php/topic,2395.0.html

:thumb
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
FJ1200
« Reply #7 on: 13:32 - 17 September, 2010 »
It seems with a 90's haircut (and similar Tony Hadley waistline) I'm starting to follow a path..... Only my two Aprilia's are later than the 90's. And now I'm thinking of buying an FJ1200 for £300. It's in good nick and off to view it tomorrow. Why? Well, it was the first "big bike" I wanted after passing my test (I used to sit and drool over pictures of it as a youngster and imagined myself flying along on her majesticals highways on one)... ANyway, before I get all whimsical. Anyone got any pointers, anyone owned one, had a mate that did?

I've done the usual net search and found a few sites and am reading those and know the obvious tyre/wheel disadvantages/crap ABS and thirst for fuel. But I do like 'em and with a proper garage in a few weeks I will be able to properly get down to work and sort out the sixth bike....