• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Nogs Blog  (Read 74435 times)

Offline Vu Ja Dave

• I may have been here before..........
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 80
  • Best Owned: Raleigh Budgie
Re: Nogs Blog
« Reply #15 on: 23:02 - 19 April, 2014 »
mmmmmmmmm cheeeeese.......... ..

Offline astro

• Custard Doughnut Wanabee
  • Banana Cake
  • Like a post? 89
  • Cats of the world unite against unfair taxes!!!!
« Reply #14 on: 08:10 - 19 April, 2014 »
I hate the M25.

I rather liked the cheesy music though!  :thumb

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #13 on: 07:15 - 19 April, 2014 »
Making progress there Nog.,.feckin maniac  :wink:

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
« Reply #12 on: 12:08 - 18 April, 2014 »
Had some pretty bad traffic on the M25 this week, there was a lorry collision under the A10 bridge which backed up around 6 miles.

Thought i'd put together a little video and take the opportunity to play a bit more with the software and get the hang of a few frills.

Haven't quite got the blurring of the clocks to animate properly, but it does the job - just for experimenting of course  :wink:

http://youtu.be/nH6oy_a_zrQ

Musics a bit cheesy but its just the free stuff that came on the CD as I kept getting YouTube ban my vid's when I included 'proper' music on them.

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #11 on: 21:23 - 17 April, 2014 »
Sort of.  Its got the main feed tube inside it, and if thats too long it will be too stiff (ooer) and force the wick onto the chain where it takes a lot of abuse.

I think if I trim the inner feed tube, the wick wont be forced onto the chain and probably get less of a hard time.  Need to play around with the heights.

Have turned down the flow setting tonight as the chain is looking nicely oiled, but still no spatter on the rear wheel.  Overall I think its a really nice system.

By the way I did read the 'mini' version is not so mini afterall, as it is simply a separate pump and reservoir, so you still end up having to site two tubes rather than one bigger one.  To be honest any bike with decent rear panels will have room to fit it, and it can be almost horizontal so fitting options are better than gravity fed systems.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #10 on: 12:39 - 17 April, 2014 »
Will it not find its own length?

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #9 on: 21:56 - 16 April, 2014 »
Been nearly two weeks of the PD Oiler on the bike now and have to say the chain has a nice even coating of oil with no splatter up the rear wheel at all :)

Really impressed with the operation of the oiler.  The only thing I'm not sure about is the whole 'wick' idea.  The fact its in constant contact with the chain means it sort of brushes the oil constantly over the chain rollers and helps it to spread throughout the links.  Been working well, but the constant movement of the chain is shredding the end of the wick very quickly and I'm not sure it will be in any decent state in a couple of weeks time.

I may have located it too close to the chain so might trim it back a little so that as the chain whips slightly as tension changes it doesn't spank the wick so hard (Ooer).  I think the wick is meant to be just off the chain for when its movement catches it and the oil is wiped off the wick.

Overall very impressed with it though.  Much easier to setup than scottoiler, since its an electric pump and not reliant on gravity and oil temperature, so the setting is consistent whatever the season.  If the wick isn't to your taste, its easy enough to change to a more 'traditional' scottoiler style setup I guess.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #8 on: 12:34 - 10 April, 2014 »
yeah, that sort of thing is really annoying  :wall

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #7 on: 10:05 - 10 April, 2014 »
 :sad:
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #6 on: 09:33 - 10 April, 2014 »
Ffs, was putting the Faz away last night and knocked my u-lock off a shelf which hit the tank and left a small dent :rant

Its not huge but it's definitely noticeable :(
Totally my own fault leaving the lock where it could get knocked,  but almost makes it more annoying.

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #5 on: 10:39 - 7 April, 2014 »
Nah, a remap isn't possible without sending the ECU off and I can't be bothered at the moment,  its actually ok as the lazier low revs make it easy to simply cruise around when you're not fussed with going mad :)

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #4 on: 22:01 - 6 April, 2014 »
Quote from: Rob the Nog

If I was being critical I would say the power would be better spread out with more usuable torque lower in the power band and less of a huge kick (the Gen 1's are supposed to be more 'rideable' in that respect),

Sounds like a remap is on the cards  :wink:
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #3 on: 21:22 - 6 April, 2014 »
I'm surprised at that, I guess they are knocking on a bit, but usually Scottoilers are pretty bullet proof.

So far the PD Oiler is looking good, but needs some decent setting up and getting your wiring sorted.  It holds a decent amount of oil, but its not easy to know how much is in there.  You have to use a sort of dip stick to see how much is left.  Not a big deal but a slight pain when a scotty etc is so easy to spot when they need filling.

The Tuturo worked ok and is a nice idea, working passively from the bikes natural movements, but I've heard a couple of people agree on forums that they worked brilliantly at first and then seemed to slow and almost stop over time.

Yeah really enjoying the Faz, I'm definitely feeling this bike more than the Tiger so pleased with the change.
The enging is a bit lazy low down (usual symptom of big inline fours I guess) but when it starts spinning up the power starts coming in spades and to be honest when full power kicks in its pretty savage. 

If I was being critical I would say the power would be better spread out with more usuable torque lower in the power band and less of a huge kick (the Gen 1's are supposed to be more 'rideable' in that respect), but then again if all bikes were the same it would be a boring world, so I'm just enjoying the change in power delivery and adjusting my riding around it.

As a comparisson, something like the TDM will cane it off the mark with that low twin cylinder punch but once up to speed the Faz would take over.  For London commuting I've never enjoyed a bike as much as the TDM, but with the M25 stuff I now do the Faz makes a lot of sense :)

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #2 on: 21:07 - 6 April, 2014 »
I wuz gonna get a Torturo but not sure now, both mine are leaking like f  :censored ck and the one on TDMII just runs all the time... I've had enough. Faz sounds like it's going very well :)
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
Nogs Blog
« Reply #1 on: 20:36 - 6 April, 2014 »
Rather than have a blog each time I change bike or something or other, I thought I'd just have the one for all the boring bike rubbish I get up to in my spare time  :chop:.

So today - starting to farkle the Fazer a bit and fitted a relay to run accessories off.  Thought I'd do a better job of it than I usually do and had the live from the relay go to a terminal block in a little hobby box, so I can take a switched live off whenever I need to, rather than have about 5 wires all coming off the battery terminal.

Have got a PD Oiler rather than the usual scottoiler.  I had a Tuturo on the Tiger which worked ok, but was a bit inconsistent and the oil flow was very susceptible to temperature, whereas the PD Oiler is on a variable timer and dispenses via an electrically pumped reservoir so no need for gravity feeds and vacuum take offs.  Has a wick thingy to oil the chain and not sure how that will work so will be a bit hit and miss but so far looking good.  Have gone for an easy routing option but it oils the top of the chain which is probably going to prove a stupid way of doing it as the bottom would get sent out through the links with centrifugal force, but will give it a go and re-route when I have more time.

Have also got a Garmin Zumo 390lm for runs into Europe and general sat nav stuff.  Haven't wired it into the bike yet, but had a quick go in the car with it to try it out and so far impressed.  The twisty route option is good and has a full set of RAM mounts for both car and bike as you'd expect.  Build quality looks good but need to sort out a bluetooth setup for my lid now.

:fb