• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Nogs Blog  (Read 32835 times)

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
Re: Nogs Blog
« Reply #1038 on: 11:36 - 15 February, 2018 »
 I was hoping March time, will just need a good few weekends of solid action and can get it out again.

Offline CoxyLaad

• Hot Cross Bun
  • Like a post? 31
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #1037 on: 10:13 - 15 February, 2018 »
keep em coming.  whats the eta on the first burn out?
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1036 on: 09:52 - 15 February, 2018 »
Not too bad, i'll be wiping her gusset before her first spring outing just to make sure though.

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 61
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #1035 on: 09:43 - 15 February, 2018 »
Hope her undercarriage is nice and clean?

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #1034 on: 07:44 - 14 February, 2018 »
Good goin Nog  ???
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1033 on: 14:26 - 13 February, 2018 »
Looks like I should have the parts delivery before the end of the week, so hopefully if not too hungover on Saturday/Sunday I should be able to get the new shims in and if new clearances all good then the cylinder head is all sorted.

The carb tidy-up doesn't look like it should take long with the new float and seals etc.  Was also looking at the tired old coolant hoses and thought sod it and so have got some nice sminky new silicone hoses, so she'd better fire up and run like a dream after all the attention she's had recently.

Once I've finally sorted all those jobs, it on to stripping the forks and then fitting a small steel section of pipe into the exhaust after the collector so I can weld in a collar for my AFR gauge and check how rich/lean it's running.

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 84
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #1032 on: 12:05 - 12 February, 2018 »
All the little bits really do add up, but that's what you got when you DIY, take your time and know it's done properly. Unless you pay for a master craftsman, I'll doubt you'll get as good a job done by a commercial person. Nice work Nog  :D
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer
about.me/zippyonline

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #1031 on: 12:04 - 12 February, 2018 »
Looks good :)
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
SV650S Blue
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 61
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #1030 on: 11:29 - 12 February, 2018 »
Pay once and cry once.
You’ll soon forget the £30 once it’s back on the road!

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1029 on: 11:05 - 12 February, 2018 »
Have ordered my bits and hopefully should be everything I need to finish it off.

Managed to juggle a good few shims and have ordered the remaining ones from Wemoto along with new cover bolt seals and exhaust stud bolts.

Went to Cradley Kawasaki that's a good site for OEM stuff and ordered a new carb float and having looked at the state of the valve cover gasket decided to get a new on of those too.

All in all cost a bit more than expected but it's all needed stuff and will be good to know it's all sorted now (hopefully) from an engine head/carb perspective.

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1028 on: 20:46 - 11 February, 2018 »
An OEM is 30 notes  :-X

Can't find a cheapy replacement anyway, so will probably just get it and like you say can be certain it's right.

Will need to get some new valve cover bolt washers anyway. Would normally reuse but the words from the wise on the forum is that old ones get too compressed over time and you'll just end up with oil leaks down the spark plugs etc. Not worth the hassle for a handful of rubber washers.

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #1027 on: 20:09 - 11 February, 2018 »
Get an original spec replacement. It’s volume and weight shouldn’t be left the chances taken by aftermarket suppliers
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1026 on: 19:59 - 10 February, 2018 »
So the head is finished, this was it after it had been cleaned up and ready for valves.

Cleaned the piston crowns etc ready for the head.

Made the stainless dowels for the valve cover that will essentially block off the air inlet to the exhaust ports.

The one on the right was a tiny bit too long and was ground down slightly and dressed a bit more.  The one on the left is stock.  I simply cut the stainless rod to a touch longer than needed and then to dress the ends put in a drill chuck and ran as a poor mans lathe and used a file to dress the ends.  Seemed to work well enough for this task anyway.

Head went back on without too much trouble and got the shims and cams all back in, spun the crank to make sure all the timing was back (timing chain was nicely within tolerance) and looks like it's all good :)

Checked clearances and there are a lot are out.  I knew there would be some changes having lapped the valves slightly, but the exhaust valves were really out of spec, some with as little as 0.03 clearance, so I reckon they were long overdue anyway, and the lapping exaggerated it, so I'm glad I've checked it.  I can get away with a fair amount of moving shims around, but I've got to get 9 new shims.  Might check on the ZRX forum and see if anyone is open for some swaps if they have the right sizes.

So the head is now waiting for new shims, so I started on the carbs.  Took the bowls off and had a check, no gumming up which I was pleased about.

One thing I noticed though was one of the floats was full of petrol, not sure if you can see in the picture, but should be able to see a level near the top of fuel inside the float.

Not sure what to do about this.  I could try and wait for it to drain and then seal all the edges epoxy, or simply buy a new float.  Since the other side was working ok probably meant it wasn't too much of a problem, but would like to get sorted.  Other than that doesn't look like they need much work other than a clean up here and there and put the new seals etc in.

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1025 on: 09:05 - 7 February, 2018 »
Lol, yeah better to have no photo's for the squirrels to even see.

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 61
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #1024 on: 06:37 - 7 February, 2018 »
Gaz had an even better defence; get the squirrels to eat the photos.