• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Nogs Blog  (Read 35506 times)

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 61
  • Let them eat cake!
Re: Nogs Blog
« Reply #1111 on: 17:23 - 19 March, 2018 »
Who needs warm carbs anyway

If I remember correctly, they were to stop the carbs ‘icing up’ and cutting out in cooler climates (UK).

But don’t worry Gaz, I’m sure Nogmeister will sort it before he sells it to you.

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #1110 on: 17:10 - 19 March, 2018 »
No, I'm just saying I'd have more confidence if I'd had a new thingy on it ;)
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
SV650S Blue
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
« Reply #1109 on: 14:46 - 19 March, 2018 »
So what you're saying is my repair isn't up to snuff  :P

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
« Reply #1108 on: 14:18 - 19 March, 2018 »
Yeah, that's what I was getting at Nogbert. If it was me, I'd rather the bollocking pain in the ar5e [filtered] it is to sort it out now rather than on the road in a rainstorm.

I guess you could be prepared and have all the gear to block it off if the worst was to happen. Who needs warm carbs anyway
Gary.

TDM900 Blue
SV650S Blue
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1107 on: 14:13 - 19 March, 2018 »
How difficut would it be to replace that little pipe thingy when it's on the bike?

Basically impossible.  Do you mean if it broke in use - I don't think about those things  :-X

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
« Reply #1106 on: 13:57 - 19 March, 2018 »
How difficut would it be to replace that little pipe thingy when it's on the bike?
Gary.

TDM900 Blue
SV650S Blue
Black Kawasaki GPZ305

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1105 on: 09:10 - 19 March, 2018 »
I'd just like to point out that there's a distinct lack of photos on this thread  :-X

Well I was briefly braving the cold again to work on the carbs this weekend so here's some more :)

The guy who sold me the carbs was upfront about some minor damage which I was ok with - it was a snapped pipe for the carb heating circuit that links the left and right pairs of carbs.

It's a simple loop of pipe that links these together and low pressure, so I was confident I could work something out for this.

There was enough of the tube remaining that I could probably get away with just a good seal and some silicone or something but since I already have a set of carbs that are knackered, thought I may as well cut one of them off and see if I can plastic 'weld' it onto this one.  I put a drill bit down to keep it all lined up and with a soldering iron melted the two pieces into each other and then used a cable tie as a sort of plastic weld rod to melt additional plastic onto the shaft (fnaaarr) to build it back up and give it some strength.  It end up a little messy at the base (pffft) but it now has a nice bell end (snarf) for the pipe to fit over and grip behind to get a good seal.

Fitted the carbs to the bike and all line up nicely, the only problem is the throttle cables aren't quite the right length.  I'd read on the forum people only use the pull cable and ditch the push, but I don't like this idea and found even the pull cable to be a little too tight, so I found a guy on ebay selling decent pair of ZZR cables and bought those so they'll be the right fit.

Offline CoxyLaad

• Barm Cake
  • Like a post? 31
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #1104 on: 22:05 - 18 March, 2018 »
I'd just like to point out that there's a distinct lack of photos on this thread  :-X
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1103 on: 09:06 - 13 March, 2018 »
I like my PD oiler, wot u recommended. Good call.

Yeah I really like PDOilers, would always have one over a Scotty, this was just a bit of fun to see if I can replicate one :)

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 38
« Reply #1102 on: 22:18 - 12 March, 2018 »
I like my PD oiler, wot u recommended. Good call.

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1101 on: 16:52 - 12 March, 2018 »
Those pumps will lift quite high. If you place it above the reservoir won't it drain back rather than through?

The problem is the air isn't getting in at the pump, but at the reservoir breather vent - I probably shouldn't have said an air tight seal in the pump, what i meant was sealing the flow once the rotation has stopped if you see what I mean.

So if the pump isn't sealing fully, it will allow oil to flow via gravity down to the lowest point.  I used these sorts of pumps in equipment years ago and they normally do seal, so I think it should be ok, but the solenoid is just a back up in case of a failure so I don't end up with oil all over the rear wheel ;)

Offline celticbiker

• Hash Cake
  • Like a post? 43
« Reply #1100 on: 16:40 - 12 March, 2018 »
Those pumps will lift quite high. If you place it above the reservoir won't it drain back rather than through?
For siphoning to happen you need a good flow rate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1099 on: 15:22 - 12 March, 2018 »
In the interests of home bodging (and inspired by Coxy's homemade quickshifter) I'm (attempting to) making myself a cheapo chain oiler for the ZRX, which I'll replicate on Kylie if it works.

I was going to get another PDOiler, but they are up to 100 notes these days and thought it a bit much, so decided to look into a homebrew solution.

As such I found these little peristaltic pumps on fleabay made from Chinesium and under a fiver - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162623856640

The flow rate is nice and low and work by internal rollers rotating around a squashed bit of tube which creates a flow.  So I can mount it under the seat (loads of room in the ZRX) with a tube going into a small reservoir of oil, the pump (at the highest point) with the outlet running down to the chain in the usual way.

In theory this should work nicely, but my only reservation is if the rollers don't make an air tight seal in the pump, it would allow any excess oil in the tubing to flow under gravity (as the reservoir will need to have a breather hole) and go all over the garage floor or spray all over my rear wheel like an over active scottoiler.  So I've also ordered an equally cheap solenoid valve (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112416506428) which can be fitted just before the tubing exits under the seat area down to the chain.

So with a button on the left controls and with some aquarium piping that I already have, the theory is I hit the button on the bar, the solenoid opens, the pumps juices a shot of oil, let go of button and oil flow stops and solenoid closes to seal the flow and prevent leakage.

That's the theory anyway  :-X

I'm also going to try something I've thought might work for a while, which I've posted in an alternative thread of it's own, just for the shits and giggles.

Offline Rob the Nog

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 101
« Reply #1098 on: 09:58 - 12 March, 2018 »
'New' carbs arrived on Saturday and from a purely visible inspection they really look the part.

Nice and clean, all in good condition and the slides all move smoothly with no sticking etc.

There was a small issue which the guy did highlight before I bought them where one of the heater pipe connections has snapped slightly.  There's enough of a tube still remaining that I should be able to get the tube to go over it and fasten with a clip, but it doesn't have a wider part which normally stops the pipe sliding off, so I may use some silicone or something as a bit of a back up and may even so about melting some plastic over the tip to form a sort of lip for the clip to fasten behind - cable ties are surprisingly good for a bit of plastic welding repairs.

Other than that it all looks good though.  Will get them on the bike hopefully this week and once all the coolant piping is back on and the system filled I should be in a position to fire her up and see if the carbs need any tuning.

Going to fit the AFR sensor in the exhaust too so I can monitor AFR and will balance them all up too of course.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 38
« Reply #1097 on: 15:31 - 10 March, 2018 »
I'll bring it Nog :) Did you want those small Mission speakers I had as well?

Wow enthusiast speakers specifically for tracks by  The Preachers. Impressed.