• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Nogs Blog  (Read 59238 times)

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
Re: Nogs Blog
« Reply #1471 on: 22:53 - 19 April, 2019 »
Nearly went to Finchingfield, went to Matching green instead, it's a nice circular route of country roads from mine so a nice 'test route'.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #1470 on: 20:27 - 19 April, 2019 »
Took Tracey for a spin today to Finchingfield...the place was heaving....first ride since September!...and yeah it really was perfect biking weather

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #1469 on: 19:05 - 19 April, 2019 »
Had a great mornings riding today. Sun was just right, warm enough for nice dry roads, not too hot in bike gear.

Took Kylie out and went for a good ri my favourite local twisty roads to get the tyres scrubbed in. Pretty much all done now.

Came back and dug the ZRX out to test the latest carb settings. Did the same route as was really enjoying it and reckon the fuelling is about 90% there. Really good pull from idle and decent power through the Rev range, good enough to enjoy the bike again anyway.

It's still running rich about mid throttle up to WOT so will drop the needles to the next notch, which will be the last notch, and see what happens.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #1468 on: 06:55 - 17 April, 2019 »
 :eat

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #1467 on: 10:55 - 16 April, 2019 »
Yeah this was more a 'reset' back to original settings for the idle screws and then knocking the needle back a notch.

Will (hopefully) just be single small changes to fine tune now.

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #1466 on: 22:00 - 15 April, 2019 »
Worst thing is making several changes at once cos you can’t isolate anything. Wrong jets is easy to do.
Mother Nature rides a biker

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #1465 on: 20:53 - 15 April, 2019 »
Yeah 2nd from top, have made the adjustment this evening.

Pilots back to 2.5 turns out and 2nd notch. Havent used washers as was still a tad rich mid range originally so thought I'd anticipate that, let's see if I was right to think that. Fired up nice and sounds good. Need to test under load but reckon I'm nearly there at last.  Should have checked those jets, had me running in circles all this time  :roll

Will almost certainly need final fine tweaks but it's near enough that the bike is usable again :)

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #1464 on: 19:49 - 15 April, 2019 »
2nd notch from the top and with washers as they were to start with? The pilot circuit is vital for pick up into the needle fuelling so set them at standard number of turns out to start with as little effect on pilot circuit by “pods” and turn at 1/8 increments
Mother Nature rides a biker

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #1463 on: 10:49 - 15 April, 2019 »
If they were good before the eBay parts it’s either them or something in the reassembly.

I was thinking about this, as it's a good point - the original ones were set up close enough - maybe a tad rich but nothing to worry about and worked fine, so I shouldn't be this far out.

I went for a fumble in the garage (fnarr) and thought I'd dig through the box of spares I salvaged from the original carbs after the buggers broke, and found the bag ogf spare jets.  Now I thought I had put the original jets in the carbs, but on closer inspection, I reckon I got them the wrong way around.  The original carbs had aftermarket jets for the pod filters and akra system, whereas the ebay carbs had stock jets.  I swear I had changed them but must have forgotten and thought I had  :bag

Anyway, have changed back to (hopefully) the correct jets, dialed out the pilots to 2.75 turns (it was a tad lean last time) and left the needles on the 3rd notch just as a baseline - originally they were on 2.5 (2nd notch with 1 washer), so it wont be a million miles out.

Started it up and it ran nice and smooth so fingers crossed it's getting there.  Will take it for a spin at lunchtime to see how far out I am.  Hopefully it might just be a needle tweak at worst now.

EDIT

Took it for a spin  :thumb

Running a tad rich on WOT so will drop the needles back a bit, probably to the second notch and hopefully should be ok, but at least I can now do that without fully removing the buggers.
« Last Edit: 12:18 - 15 April, 2019 by Rob the Nog »

Offline celticbiker

• Hot Cross Bun
  • Like a post? 45
« Reply #1462 on: 16:22 - 12 April, 2019 »
36/42
Dialled it out with suspension now but they're not as nice as pr3.
Might try the fives next time but it's definitely a bike that likes good rubber.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Online BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
« Reply #1461 on: 15:51 - 12 April, 2019 »
I tried a set of pr4's on the 8 this time but have to say I'm not loving them side walls are a bit iffy for me. They're not soft like the pilot power 3 but they aren't stiff either so you get a numbness at lean.  Back to pp3 when they wear out.

40psi?
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #1460 on: 14:54 - 11 April, 2019 »
Hmmm, will see how I go with these then.

In other news - I'm testing my heated grips for power leakage (ooer).

The Optimate is still saying the battery is a bit dicky, and over 24 hours it dropped from 12.6v to 12.3v, which doesn't sound a lot but is huge for 24 hours drop.  I've pulled the fuse from the heated grips and back on the optimate overnight.  Will check tonight to see if the optimate say's it's maintaining normally and then take off charge and see what the drop is.

If the battery is knackered i'll pop the fuse back in and order a new one.  If not, will put a relay in place.

Offline celticbiker

• Hot Cross Bun
  • Like a post? 45
« Reply #1459 on: 21:25 - 10 April, 2019 »
I tried a set of pr4's on the 8 this time but have to say I'm not loving them side walls are a bit iffy for me. They're not soft like the pilot power 3 but they aren't stiff either so you get a numbness at lean.  Back to pp3 when they wear out.

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #1458 on: 20:53 - 10 April, 2019 »

Is that you paying homage to the JPS Nortons?

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
« Reply #1457 on: 20:39 - 10 April, 2019 »
don't forget to undo your lock before you set off!  :ohyeah
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline