• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Nogs Blog  (Read 83641 times)

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
Re: Nogs Blog
« Reply #1639 on: 10:50 - 17 September, 2019 »
Probably not much to be honest - I never intended to do much with the Tracer as to be honest it's a pretty sorted bike.

I think with the Nitron you fitted I could have left it alone and still been completely happy, but I don't think I can help a little "tweak" here and there.

The re-flash has made a big difference to be honest.  Having been on holiday recently I hadn't ridden it for a couple of weeks and forgot it defaulted to Mode A, which I intend to put back to STD, but I rode through the town and didn't even realise as the throttle is so much smoother than stock.  I only noticed when I hit the national speed limit and it took off quicker than normal.  I think that smoothing of the throttle response is something Yamaha should really have done, but I think they are slightly constrained by the emissions rules needing them to shut down the injectors.

They seem to be the worst manufacturer for it though from what I can tell, although maybe it's because it's a triple you notice it more than a  4 pot that will have slightly less engine braking  :dunno

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #1638 on: 09:54 - 17 September, 2019 »
 :eat. What next?

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1637 on: 08:25 - 17 September, 2019 »
Lol, at my budget it's more Delkenog than akra  :cheese

Tested it out in anger this morning - ride to work was good, even with ear plugs can really hear a nice deep tone to it now at idle and a nice little growl on the power.

Nothing too rowdy and couldn't hear it at all on the motorway as usual so don't think it's that much louder even at higher revs.

Bum dyno hasn't noticed any change at all.  Ear dyno is happy with the result  :thumb

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #1636 on: 22:22 - 16 September, 2019 »
Well done Rob Nog Akrapovic  :hello2
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1635 on: 20:35 - 16 September, 2019 »
Well exhaust swapped over, had a bit of a fight with it as they made it so you have to have the centre stand in the up position so it can be moved around as the silencer is wriggled out.

Anyway, a quick dab of copper grease on the studs (might as well while its off) and the mod exhaust in its place.

I'm really happy with the outcome to be honest, which is more a happy accident but the tone is much deeper and a slight rasp but only a tad louder. Put the dB meter nearby and its gained around 10dB and gone  from around 90-100 to 100-110.  With an average around 105 that's trackday volume which is around normal aftermarket exhaust volume which is perfect.

I've used the meter before on my kit car and it read high which made me think I'd be pulled up on track but was fine when  the car was tested, so in reality I reckon I'm nicely in the range.

Anyway, here's a before and after volume of videos. Mobiles don't have great mic's but it's much nicer - with headphones it's easier to hear the deeper tone  :cool

Before
https://youtu.be/_A6ZlnmqV0U

After
https://youtu.be/HY5430Jo1QE

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1634 on: 10:32 - 16 September, 2019 »
Yeah I was in two minds about that.  Decided not to do too much this first time round.

I don't mind cutting open again if I need too (it's all MIG practice afterall) so thought I'd see what this first attempt does and if I'm happy then it's all good, but if not can go a stage further.

If I'd cut it all out and it's too loud would be a pain trying to go back.  It's not as tidy a job as I would have liked internally to be honest, but with the access I had and a reciprocating saw it was hard to be "stylish".  Also it's all sealed up anyway, so as long as only the sound is affected it's hopefully all ok.  There's also a possibility of course that I could exaggerate crap frequencies and make it sound raspy or tinny, it's all a bit hit and miss.

If I go back into it, I will most likely open it up right across the rear and mid section and remove that entire 'bulk head'.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #1633 on: 10:11 - 16 September, 2019 »
The gauze is likely to be there to disturb flow to assist in sound reduction - you could chop it out?

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1632 on: 09:19 - 16 September, 2019 »
Had a bash at the exhaust yesterday.

The one I got from eBay is practically brand new - I reckon the guy selling it must have bought the bike then pretty much straight away got an aftermarket exhaust and simply flogged this to scrape a little money back.  Crazy really, for the price of the stainless and the cat I bet I could flog it for scrap for more than I paid for it.

Anyway, because the Tracer exhaust has brackets on the top, where the MT09 doesn't (which is the one pictured previously) I decided to change my plan of attack.  Turning the exhaust over so I was coming in from the bottom (Ooer) it was obvious that simply opening up the end instead of trying to mess around in the mid section was going to be the best option.

Bit of angle grinder action later and I had the end open.

Got my reciprocating saw out and simply cut the exit pipe out and a large chunk of the end plate out which has opened the flow up straight from the cat into the end chamber which is then free to flow out of the outlet or bounce around to fill the other chambers a bit.  Since the exit is still the same size as normal and the cat is still in place, I don't expect sound to be increased to any anti-social levels, but hoping that since the gases hit the end chamber less hindered, will give a bit more of a deeper tone.  Will pop on this week and do a before and after vid to see what the effect is.

If it's been a waste of time and hardly effected it at all I will open it back up and seal off the other pipes completely so it's forced to go straight out - or simply gut the whole thing for more of a straight through effect like in that guys video and see what happens (using perforated pipework and wadding).  For the price I paid, it was cheap enough just for a bit of playing around just for the hell of it.

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1631 on: 08:20 - 11 September, 2019 »
The AFR gauge has been a great tool to be honest.

I got it when I had the kit car years ago that I was doing track days in.  When I converted it to run on ZX6R carbs I bought the AFR to tune them, as obviously completely different to any bike settings in terms of jets etc (that was when I finally fully got my head around how carbs work).  Have then used them to tune the ZRX and now can check the Tracer, so at least getting my money's worth out of it.

I'm by no means an expert, but simply watching the AFR is in a 'safe' region is enough to know I'm not pushing the engine into dangerous territory, although I'm sure with just a small exhaust tweak I'm being over cautious, but no harm in that anyway.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #1630 on: 22:51 - 10 September, 2019 »
I find the electronic side of mods very interesting. To be able to wire up data acquisition and review and understand it in conjunction with “seat of the pants” must help in getting the direction right. Being able to see if something isn’t right well before it’s a problem is very good too

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1629 on: 08:50 - 9 September, 2019 »
Yeah I know what you're saying, but what can I say, I like dicking about with angle grinders and practicing my MIG welding (which really does need the practice)  :cheese.

If performance is noticeably affected, it'll be swapped back to stock.

The full story by the way is I'll be installing my wideband and AFR gauge into the exhaust (since the remap has disabled the closed loop), so I can monitor AFR on the fly and check how it's running.  So it wont be complete blind guesswork, i'll be able to see what the outcomes are and the bum-dyno will be being on full sensitivity.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #1628 on: 22:44 - 8 September, 2019 »
In my world and my head.... As technology and regulations and the cost and availability of quality materials and quality production and the space available on a motorcycle have evolved rapidly... I have reverted to seeking out and paying for higher than standard versions of standard items. In my head I can’t live with the inadequacy of something not being quite right and having something on a bike pulling the performance down to an average lower than the sum of what it’s parts should be. It doesn’t mean having to save up to have the Akra’s it means having the standard pipes because they perform better than something someone that doesn’t know what they’ve doing has. The standard pipes on my Strumpet are heavy and were noticeable when replacing the lightweight race can. They were muted and sounded lifeless. Now after 6 months... I hear the understated growl, I feel the seamless torque, I can turn the bike as needs be. Rather than meddling with the zorsts why not ride with some less effective ear plugs? :0).

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1627 on: 20:31 - 8 September, 2019 »
No, fortunately they did away with that.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #1626 on: 18:56 - 8 September, 2019 »
There's no "exup" valve within the system ?

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #1625 on: 09:09 - 8 September, 2019 »
They do an Akro for that, and whilst it's not UGLY it isn't as pretty as the stock IMO... Subjective of course and others can legitimately be wrong hold their own opinion