• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Nogs Blog  (Read 69091 times)

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
Re: Nogs Blog
« Reply #1631 on: 08:20 - 11 September, 2019 »
The AFR gauge has been a great tool to be honest.

I got it when I had the kit car years ago that I was doing track days in.  When I converted it to run on ZX6R carbs I bought the AFR to tune them, as obviously completely different to any bike settings in terms of jets etc (that was when I finally fully got my head around how carbs work).  Have then used them to tune the ZRX and now can check the Tracer, so at least getting my money's worth out of it.

I'm by no means an expert, but simply watching the AFR is in a 'safe' region is enough to know I'm not pushing the engine into dangerous territory, although I'm sure with just a small exhaust tweak I'm being over cautious, but no harm in that anyway.

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #1630 on: 22:51 - 10 September, 2019 »
I find the electronic side of mods very interesting. To be able to wire up data acquisition and review and understand it in conjunction with “seat of the pants” must help in getting the direction right. Being able to see if something isn’t right well before it’s a problem is very good too
Mother Nature rides a biker

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1629 on: 08:50 - 9 September, 2019 »
Yeah I know what you're saying, but what can I say, I like dicking about with angle grinders and practicing my MIG welding (which really does need the practice)  :cheese.

If performance is noticeably affected, it'll be swapped back to stock.

The full story by the way is I'll be installing my wideband and AFR gauge into the exhaust (since the remap has disabled the closed loop), so I can monitor AFR on the fly and check how it's running.  So it wont be complete blind guesswork, i'll be able to see what the outcomes are and the bum-dyno will be being on full sensitivity.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #1628 on: 22:44 - 8 September, 2019 »
In my world and my head.... As technology and regulations and the cost and availability of quality materials and quality production and the space available on a motorcycle have evolved rapidly... I have reverted to seeking out and paying for higher than standard versions of standard items. In my head I can’t live with the inadequacy of something not being quite right and having something on a bike pulling the performance down to an average lower than the sum of what it’s parts should be. It doesn’t mean having to save up to have the Akra’s it means having the standard pipes because they perform better than something someone that doesn’t know what they’ve doing has. The standard pipes on my Strumpet are heavy and were noticeable when replacing the lightweight race can. They were muted and sounded lifeless. Now after 6 months... I hear the understated growl, I feel the seamless torque, I can turn the bike as needs be. Rather than meddling with the zorsts why not ride with some less effective ear plugs? :0).

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1627 on: 20:31 - 8 September, 2019 »
No, fortunately they did away with that.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #1626 on: 18:56 - 8 September, 2019 »
There's no "exup" valve within the system ?

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #1625 on: 09:09 - 8 September, 2019 »
They do an Akro for that, and whilst it's not UGLY it isn't as pretty as the stock IMO... Subjective of course and others can legitimately be wrong hold their own opinion

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1624 on: 08:05 - 8 September, 2019 »
Blimey, I'm saving a couple of hundred over a black widow cos I'm being tight, the akra's are a grand ;). I know they are top drawer, but that's big money for only a sound boost - not too bothered about performance increases needing further Dyno work.

Just don't want the 'mod' to be detrimental to the performance though, so we'll see what happens.

As I'm keeping the original I can always pop back on and further modify if needed, or simply go back to stock if it's a balls up.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #1623 on: 23:05 - 7 September, 2019 »
Back in the day GP tuners made dozens of pipe variations to get two strokes right. Honda over the past two or three seasons have made dozens of length changes to assist in power delivery. The search for perfection never stops with a lot of work going into each small change. Why not save up for an Akra system so you know it's the best it can be!?

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1622 on: 10:03 - 7 September, 2019 »
That would be good to see to be honest.

Most of the cheaper aftermarkets simply coil the link pipe in a circle under the engine to get the slightly longer length.

The akra's have a decent sized silencer so I reckon they have got some internal trickery going on that would be interesting.  I'm far from an exhaust expert, but guessing that once the gases hit that mid-section, any pulses etc for scavenging are messed up due to the void and so what happens after that point is less important. That's my thinking on not changing anything upstream (cat etc) and only changing the diverting into the final pipe than into the 2 other chambers.

Could be wrong (probably am) but I'm thinking that's less of an impact than just ripping it to a straight through.

One way to find out I guess ;)

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
« Reply #1621 on: 09:46 - 7 September, 2019 »
Is there any comparable cut aways of Ackra or other manufacturers exhausts? Because they will have done the R&D to get flow correct and a deeper tone

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #1620 on: 09:29 - 7 September, 2019 »
Awwww

Online celticbiker

• Hot Cross Bun
  • Like a post? 46
« Reply #1619 on: 23:56 - 6 September, 2019 »
We dog sit for a couple.
Luna and Duke.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 104
« Reply #1618 on: 22:09 - 6 September, 2019 »
Laziest buggers too, which surprises most people as they think they'll be full of energy cos of the racing  :)

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #1617 on: 21:13 - 6 September, 2019 »
They are class. My cousin has one, loads of character
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!