Author Topic: Readie's Blog - or didn't we have a luv-er-ly day, the day we went to the races!  (Read 279699 times)

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
About a decade ago I reckoned it was about 275k miles. Since then it’s done about 5k tops as it’d been in pieces for 5 years.

Could not get the rear hub but off of the axle so it’s a main dealer job to lubricate the hub bearings. I’ll do the steering bearings this weekend, then clutch plates, plugs, air filter and oil. It’ll then have dealer ECM / map checks and that’s then the basis of my new bike  8)
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline ChrisG

• Banana Cake
  • Like a post? 93
Do you know how many miles you had on the Yam?

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Rear suspension disassembled and needle bearings greased. Rear hub is to be disassembled too to grease its needle bearing and ball-bearing. A 12k mile bike is a much easier thing to service than my old 90’s bikes which needed several replacement components or very careful checking each service interval.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Didn’t need the “punch” just needed to force the spacer out of line to get at the bearing inner race ::)  new front bearings and seals are on and discs on. Headstock gets dismantled, greased and re-torqued this weekend and then fork seals and oil early next week.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
I remember that in PB and like OE and OME and DOHC I had an idea what it meant

Been out in the garden and nearly dropped the Strumpet off the front paddock stand as the ground is too uneven. Seals are out but need a decent punch to get at the bearing shelf below the spacer. Dunno what brand the pads are on the front but their profiles are not consistent and wth very good material depth they already seem to have grained and the surface is pitted too much for my liking so they’re off to the binand new brembo pads on the way to mate the new discs. Will finish the front wheel tomorrow night.

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 61
  • Let them eat cake!
I thought that a UJM was a middleweight 4 cylinder bike?

Offline Sidestand

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 56
  • The Older I Get , The Better I Was
UJM's - no soul !

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Nice Tracey’s about to go on the meat market....

:o

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 61
  • Let them eat cake!
Nice Tracer about to go on the market....
Hmmmm....

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 38
Nice Tracer about to go on the market....

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
I can find nothing in the manual on spark plugs. The manual is not written by those who wrote the manual for the 885 where there was some minor contradiction but generally clarity. This manual feels like that clarity is giving way to “newspeak” and heading toward the dealer service manual where nothing is given to help guide other than guide toward a dealer.

Does motorcycling end with pay-as-you go dealer authorised machines locked to DVla roadside recognition and insurance sanctioned use? Maybe I’ll be asking for the Yam back

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
They’re EBC discs and show no wear but EBC have a reputation for warping. Reading EBC’s website they explain that fully floating discs don’t have moving rotors or bobbins spinning easily if they are they’re loose and out of spec according to EBC. I’ve had rotors jangling on carriers before... EBC explain that the bobbin is there to allow expansion and contraction of the rotor allowing it to “fully float” from the carrier. I’ve bought new brembo discs instead. I’ll send the EBC’s to ABE for checking and will sell what’s good.

I have been reading my Triumph manual so tomorrow is another parts list and order and I’ll start it’s 12k mile service.

Offline celticbiker

• Hash Cake
  • Like a post? 44
True, never ever use oil on brake discs to so squeal only use red rubber grease so as not to damage any seals nearby

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 38
You say that, we said that to some kid who's rich daddy bought him the brand new Honda moped (we're talking 1977 here) but had brake squeal. My mate suggested he oiled them (only joking)...and he did. And nearly killed himself!   Darwinian selection, we honestly couldn't  believe he could be that fu  :censored ing stupid... but he was.

In other comments...

Very close

Nice.
« Last Edit: 06:51 - 21 July, 2018 by E.T. »

Offline celticbiker

• Hash Cake
  • Like a post? 44
What are jokes?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk