• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Readie's Blog - or didn't we have a luv-er-ly day, the day we went to the races!  (Read 340870 times)

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
Great write-up Readdiefellah, sounds like you were almost sober!

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
sounds good  :)
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
Great write up, look forward to the pictures : thumb

Will have to add it to the list.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
So you enjoyed it then.  :thumb

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
Wow... Weather was perfect (as UK but warmer). A smooth crossing and a good 6 hour ride down along lovely country roads with next to no traffic. Arriving at the circuit I was amazed to see it packed with more people than I’ve seen before (79k in total). I pitched my tent and went to the supermarket to stock up for the weekend. Friday night I just sorted my kit, ate and drank loads of water to rehydrate. Put in my ear plugs and was asleep by 10pm. Outside my tent the French were just starting to party.... All night long bikes all around the circuit were bounced off of their rev limiters and the kill-switch hit to ignite the unburnt fuel in the pipes. Sound systems competed and crowds roared and people laughed and BBQ’d until dawn.
I was up at 8am and out trackside to watch the classic race followed by a 90’s race of GSXRs, CBRs, YZRs and 996s (which a pair of pissed off and fought for the win). Then the 30 strong field of female racers battled for 15 laps before the superstock finished the support racing.
The 24hr racers came out for 45mins warm up and f  :censored ck me their pace was ferocious. I went back to my tent at midday for some lunch as most were surfacing and then we all wandered to the start/finish straight for the race build up. At 2:45pm the thousands stood and belted out La Marseillaise before the 30 second countdown and the race start flagged by two Dassault Mirage jets flying the straight just above the stands. The racers ran to their machines opposite and the racing began. 24hrs of it...
It started and finished like a MotoGP race. They fought like f  :censored ck. I sat in the stand until 5pm and then went back to the trackside to watch the bikes race into the darkness. The stamina, skill and precision is incredible. Lap after lap the sheer concentration and fitness to continuously brake and take near identical lines (save for passing or being forced offline by faster riders) is impressive. I went to bed at 11pm and was up at 5am to get back out to watch them ride into the sunrise and another warm day. Nearly nothing had changed in the standings apart from the world changing for some teams. The class leading Honda EWC and Yamaha favourites crashed out and suffered engine failure. It left the racing to the three EWC teams that had fought from the start - Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki EWC teams (60 teams are split roughly Superstock and Endurance World Championship - the latter having similar power hike and tuning over Superstock but less reliability and increased service needs). After 18hrs only 1 lap separated the top three teams. Unheard of. By midday Honda had worn down Kawasaki to a 19second lead. Then DePuniet for Honda rode a mental session to pull a 10 second advantage over David Checa on the Kawasaki but as the Honda pitted for the rider change to Yonny Hernandez it was clear they were just behind Kawasaki on pit strategy and would need to stop again before the race ended. With five minutes to go a Suzuki blew its engine and high sided onto the Dunlop bends forcing the safety car out and bunching the bikes to within 10 seconds of each other. Honda were right up behind Kawasaki for a last minute shoot out for the win. But that pit stop had to be made as the Blade was no doubt near empty. The French Kawasaki squad took the win over the British Honda team with the French Suzuki team in third. Epic.
By 5pm the circuit was empty and a chilled evening of eating and reading before an early start at 6am for a cracking ride back along roads that have clearly been set out and engineered by bikers. A nice sleep on the ferry and then home to the missus and my daughter and a nice evening catching up and unwinding. Can’t wait for the next time. Will post pics shortly.

3rd place

2nd place

1st place

« Last Edit: 13:47 - 24 April, 2019 by Readmarx »
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
Have fun!

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Yup! All packed and in my sack (bed). Going to ride a faster route down to catch end of practice. An early night and start for Saturday race day and determined to be up before dawn to watch the race emerge from the darkness. Le Man has very good trackside viewing in some sections very close like Assen to the track. Nyom nyom nyom

Online Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
Quite fancy doing this one year.  Did the car Le Mans and was good fun, like you say you nod off with the constant sound of racing and think nothing of wandering out to watch racing at silly-o-clock in the morning.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Thing I look forward to most is the atmosphere- the French really enjoy themselves and make a big party. The racing becomes a soundtrack. Watching the bikes at dusk and dawn is awesome and looks st for good weather.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Tyre pressures, lubing the chain, writing a list of things to pack and a full battery charge and all’s set to get to Le Mans for 24hrs de Moto. Friends came down last night and we all got hammered. Pulled the armchair in front of my computer to sit in (hungover) comfort to watch warm up and the GP’s - absolutely great result for Rins and Suzuki. Somehow managed to finished the ale I had left over from last night.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Lol

I watched Aragon last night. Rae was more contrite and better mannered in his post race interview but indicated “we” need to close the gap on Alvaro. AB has just matched Neil Hodgesons 9 win on a row record from 2003. Rae’s style is to barge in and take lines aggressively. I’ve no issue with that if it’s safe which in fairness to him he generally is but it’s a risky strategy to constantly repeat as it will go wrong at some point. Losing downforce is what put Bagnaia out of Quatar - the bike just pulled strongly to one side - all 165kg, 250hp and 200mph of it.... WSB have now stepped in to adjust RPM for all manufacturers after 3rd race which won’t show itself at Assen. It’ll be interesting to see how Alvaro gets on as I suspect Rae will be looking for “close quarter” combat with AB on such a technical track. I think he thinks he can “psyche him out” by getting up close. I think Alvaro doesn’t have the appetite or temperament to fight so will either f  :censored ck off and win or sit tight and take a podium.

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Jam Tart
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
so, hating on rea a bit more.

lights go out, and rea side swipes reiteberger in his death or glory bid to get from p10 to p1 by turn 1. the commentators blame reiteberger?! wtf?? !
rea was coming from behind, reiteberger hardly changed his line.  madness how biased they are towards him.

at the end of the race they interview laverty and he says rea clattered into him and smashed one of his wings in the first corner and he had major instability problems when following bikes from then on. That raises a few questions about those wings, but its another example of rea's bellendishness.

maybe I am a bit biased the other way now as I think hes a bit of a tosspot, but he wants punting off the track for some of the stuff he seemingly gets away with scott free.

nob jockey
« Last Edit: 21:31 - 6 April, 2019 by CoxyLaad »
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Agree with your thinking there, Coxy - Rea's "Hereeeeeeeeeeee's JOHNNY!!!!" overtaking is very much his old MX background

Bautista is showing the massive outright speed he showed when he was given a GP18 last year at Philip Island when Lorenzo was injured and he led the race... Last time I saw that was Troy Bayliss when he was given a proper Ducati and he went out and pissed off and won the GP when the rest of the world was focused on Rossi losing to Hayden (RIP fella).

Bautista is like, er, the fastest, er, motherfucker, since Rea? I think Rea and Kawasaki should get closer back in the European rounds. But from an armchair perspective.... "the king is dead long live the king".... If someone kicks your ar5e [filtered] out there then get fast and get beating them or do your best and congratulate the better rider/team if you can't...

Don't make yourself look like a big baby!

In other news. Had a good ride to see a client. pissing rain. I do not like square tyres in the wet, they just track and follow any deviation in the road. Grip still very good with the 01's. Headlight on the Strumpet is good for nightime work in the wet too. It is a "keeper" for sure.

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Jam Tart
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
its really good, they do a bit on the racing, then they actually talk about bikes like normal people would, mixed in with a lot of piss taking.
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!