• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: Readie's Blog - or didn't we have a luv-er-ly day, the day we went to the races!  (Read 361172 times)

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
Even if it had been SS for the pinch bolts their shear is way more than 22ft/lbs of tightening torque.

It's the failure mode (i.e ductile) of ss and that they just keep stretching and loosening (and in turn galling) when they fail, rather than the brittle fracture mechanism of a standard grade 8.8 type nut which you can actually get out again!

Various fasteners have their place, and is you're usage/maintenance is different to the original design, then that's fine. Removing the electrolyte will make a significant improvement.

I do use SS bolts by the way, in certain places.
CMC Bicycle Liason Officer - my photo a day thread
about.me/zippyonline

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
Yup, I'm not worried about the Ti failing. Even if it had been SS for the pinch bolts their shear is way more than 22ft/lbs of tightening torque. Disc bolts whatever their material are always a service item (2 years if not winter riding) as there's always three materials in contact with water and salt and always corrosion on a road bike that needs careful removal.

Unsprung weight! My old XTZ was near 20kgs lighter than stock and my RSV was swathed in To and CF, the trackbike was significantly lightened but I have grown up now!
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
think of the unsprung weight.
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
I remember a building warranty inspector being unnerved where zinc cladding was being used adjacent lead flashing (0.55 anodic difference). Hundreds of years of use (even near coastal areas) was lost on him. Manufacturers had a standard statement which was copied to the inspector to calm his nerves. Titanium brake rotor bolts are sold and used widely - should we be worried?

I wouldn't be too worried - I'm guessing it's in Alu though - so you'll notice furring, and it's a large area. What does concern me is that it is probably in a salt firing line, so you'll have a nice electrolyte action...but if you keep it clean it'll be fine.. Fortunately everything on consumer vehicles is over-specced in the first instance so you have a nice factor of safety for things like corrosion over lifetime etc. Stainless as a stressed component (i.e. not just holding covers and fairing panels on) isn't a smart move, although you can spec them. I don't like their failure mode though (ductile failure rather than brittle fracture, so you're prone to galling and properly stuck bolts rather than ones you can remove and "feel" when you hit their elastic spot on the stress-strain curve). Ti is often used in motorsport etc., but they're very much given a life and replaced regularly.
I suspect you'll get away with it, and be fine, but their are reasons and possibilities why they aren't necessarily the optimal solution.

In other news my daughter saved two front wheel slides today whilst we were out on the peddly’s. I often tell people of my plan to make her the first female British Superbike champion. These two Marquez moments are promising

Cool!  :cool
about.me/zippyonline

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
I remember a building warranty inspector being unnerved where zinc cladding was being used adjacent lead flashing (0.55 anodic difference). Hundreds of years of use (even near coastal areas) was lost on him. Manufacturers had a standard statement which was copied to the inspector to calm his nerves. Titanium brake rotor bolts are sold and used widely - should we be worried?

In other news my daughter saved two front wheel slides today whilst we were out on the peddly’s. I often tell people of my plan to make her the first female British Superbike champion. These two Marquez moments are promising

Offline Zippy

• Biscotti and Amaretto
  • CMC Moderator
  • Like a post? 85
    • about.me/zippyonline
Yum yum, galvanic corrosion!
about.me/zippyonline

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
After a trip to Lidl’s and returning with a lot of cheap (but tasty) wheat beer which affected my judgement I went to my computer and ordered two titanium bolts for the front axle pinch bolts (the OE Triumph ones aren’t nice). I feel better but each one is £6 and I should have bought stainless steel as it’s half that price

Otherwise been glued to the TV this weekend for MGP, WSB & NW200

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
Tonight I had a very nice night watching, listening to and being reminded of reality by Benjamin Zephaniah - Amy True supporting was powerful - both were energy and positivity personified

Also, a new D lock from Pragmasis was delivered two days after ordering, Police Secure Gold, incredible quality, £57.... it’s to save Mr Paranoid from carrying the 1m 16mm chain and lock (6kgs) everywhere! The D lock will be used through the front wheel and brake Caliper mount making it impossible to remove the front wheel or bust the steering lock and wheel away. Two man professional lift only into a van.
« Last Edit: 14:05 - 16 May, 2019 by Readmarx »

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
After a day and a half of chores (and a few pints with a Chum, watching BSB and learning that our local will allow the pair of us to drink all day Saturday and play pool whilst putting MotoGP practice on the TV....) I went for a very nice sunny Sunday afternoon ride on the Strumpet. I’ll change the tyres after the TT for the summer - Metzeler Roadtec 01’s are impeccable

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
I have repainted my shed, sealed gaps between external timber cladding which leaked, fitted a new timber barge board and replaced some broken glazing panels. I am very pleased with the Strumpets abode.

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
He’ll be changing his name to Colin Hunt next...
« Last Edit: 06:36 - 3 May, 2019 by AlunL »

Offline BashplateAlAssad

• The priest is the personification of falsehood.
  • Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? -40
  • Forget red, let's go all the way up to brown alert
    • http://www.gocmc.org
  • Best Owned: TDM 900
He said, she said, "Is that a baguette in your pocket?" and he said, he said "No, I'm just pleased to see you..."

Geddit?
Gary.

Essex<-15miles->N15 Commuter
TDM900 Blue
FZ1 in Black
Black Kawasaki GPZ305
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Offline E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
WTF are you lot on about  :dontknow:

Offline Readmarx

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
A bow tie that spins, a water filled flower which squirts, half a football on my head and some oversized shoes - every little helps