• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Have you missed your activation email?

Author Topic: CB's Bloglett FWIW  (Read 23819 times)

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
Re: CB's Bloglett FWIW
« Reply #659 on: 10:28 - 22 August, 2019 »
counteract that with a bigger engine
And then you end up with a Can-Am Spyder...

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #658 on: 10:12 - 22 August, 2019 »
counteract that with a bigger engine
___________________ __
Coxylaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d!!!

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
  • like a pear cider made from 100% pears
« Reply #657 on: 10:08 - 22 August, 2019 »
Yeah every review I've read has said how the front is so planted (due to two contact patches) that you could really push it harder than a normal 2 wheeler.

I did read one though where they pointed out the additional weight at the front due to double the suspension, wheel etc sort of reduced the effectiveness when pushing on.

Offline celticbiker

• Hot Cross Bun
  • Like a post? 46
« Reply #656 on: 09:53 - 22 August, 2019 »
Good write-up CB, but think you’ve missed the point.
It’s not aimed at people like you who push the boundaries on sports bikes on testing roads, but more at commuters (so the filtering comments is relevant) and tourers who like to cover long distances on motorways.

Interestingly, I know loads of people who’ve had a demo bike, but none have bought one. I’m assuming that they have all been sold to dealers and may be sold off cheaply when they’re discontinued...
I completely agree Alun, and for those people it will be an excellent bike but according to the sales guys and all the write ups in the press it's got better grip and handling than a conventional set up. To this end I wanted to test it against my bike as a known quantity and found it wanting. For me it also shines a spotlight of doubt on what the journo's write about any bike.
Anyways, when I pick mine up I'm taking an MT10 out, if one of the best bikes on the market can't make hard I'll call my shrink.

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #655 on: 09:16 - 22 August, 2019 »
Sounds like the tyres are a poor choice for it too.

I have to say, having used the Tracer for a good while now, I really like those Avon Trailriders that ET put on.  Haven't had any issue with grip in the slightest and they handle really well.  I was put off Avon's many years ago but I really like these AV54's.

Offline AlunL

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 62
  • Let them eat cake!
« Reply #654 on: 09:00 - 22 August, 2019 »
Good write-up CB, but think you’ve missed the point.
It’s not aimed at people like you who push the boundaries on sports bikes on testing roads, but more at commuters (so the filtering comments is relevant) and tourers who like to cover long distances on motorways.

Interestingly, I know loads of people who’ve had a demo bike, but none have bought one. I’m assuming that they have all been sold to dealers and may be sold off cheaply when they’re discontinued...

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #653 on: 08:45 - 22 August, 2019 »
I too can attest to the MT09 powerplant being a gem.

works so well on the track, especially coming out of really slow corners
___________________ __

Online E.T.

• King of Cake
  • Like a post? 39
« Reply #652 on: 20:03 - 21 August, 2019 »
 :stupid

And yes I love the MT09 engine..  such a contrast to those old agricultural Moto Guzzi engines.   :whistle

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #651 on: 18:36 - 21 August, 2019 »
Interesting write up.

I've chatted to a few people who've ridden them and all gushed about how impressed they were, but the cost puts them off.

The MT09 power plant is a really nice engine, really flexible and like you say bags of torque pretty much from the off.

Offline celticbiker

• Hot Cross Bun
  • Like a post? 46
« Reply #650 on: 18:19 - 21 August, 2019 »
Well, guess what I did today.

I had to drop the Fazer off for a top end service today so I used the opportunity to take the Niken out for a ride.
Got to say I was pleasantly surprised.
Throwing a leg over for the first time revealed that the seat height is quite low and the bars and cockpit are a little higher than expected but ergonomically is very comfy for my 6ft frame.
So ABS on, TCS on and mode 3 (eco) engaged, clutch in, step on the gear lever and...., where's the clunk? Non existent (this was from cold too) just snik and its in. The clutch is very light too for a cable jobbie, so off we go.
Having ridden the Faz for 2 and a half years now I've got used to that bogging down you get from IL4's just as you pull off but the MT09 triple power plant in this bike has bags of torque at the 2-3.5k revs just where you need it for quick pull offs from lights or roundabouts but it can catch you out if it's wet and you don't have the TCS engaged, but more on that later.
Bridgestone battleaxe tyres are not the best in the world so they seem like a strange choice for this bike but as there is only 900 miles on it I can only assume they are original fitment. Out of the estate and onto the main road and that torque makes itself known. Two miles of weaving and 4 roundabouts later and everything is warmed up. Onto the M4 then the M48. The 48 was clear so plenty of opportunity to try out a few of the toys. Top gear roll on in any of the modes is not much different but if you set off in a low gear and pull hard up through the box then that’s where you will feel it. On that score I’d like to say that it’s silky smoothe but honestly it’s not, cruising and gentle roll ons is fine but accelerating and cruising at about 80/90 sends some serious vibes through the pegs that would become intrusive after more than an hour.
So after 20 minutes a quick fuel stop and a look over the bike it seems very well put together with nothing unnecessary but also nothing missing either. At the rear there is a convenient remote preload and easily accessible rebound adjuster but couldn’t see compression damping adjuster. Also noticed it has a quickshifter fitted, will have to put that through its paces later.
The front was a little different (obvs) couldn’t see any preload adjustment and found the compression damping on the lower rear of the front fork leg of both sides. Couldn't see the rebound adjuster but have a suspicion it was up inside the bottom of the same legs.
Coming back from Chepstow I took a mountain road that I know very well so could use as a comparison against my bike.
A zip tie on the fork leg, a gentle 2 miles of twisties to warm things up again and then onto the push, this is where it starts to fall apart though. From a standing start and if you lift it up out of a corner and squirt it, it digs in and drives well but for me that’s where the praise ends. Now I am fully aware that the following issues could well be the tyres or suspension set up but it’s still not acceptable on a demonstrator.
Testing the brakes (on a specially designed track and not the public highway of course), braking from 80 to a stop in a straight line is fine and the stopping distance is good but could be better and the ABS when forced on gravel is almost indiscernible. Having got a feel for the brakes I started to push and it pushed back. Braking hard and tipping in had the front end skipping, coming off the bakes and accelerating to the apex either had the front tucking or the rear sliding (see why they have TCS now) and trying to get the power down when it’s on the side of the tyre just had it spinning up, After 20 minutes of this I stopped to have a look at the set up and to be honest I think the front is either over sprung or got too much oil ( not enough air gap) in them. Having given the front some abuse, checking the zip tie showed only about 60% of the travel had been used and I think this was causing all the problems, there just wasn’t enough weight transfer to the front.
Now that quickshifter. It works well, generally speaking, upshifts are slick but the whole ECU control interferes with the power delivery. You see, not only does it cut the ignition but it reduces power momentarily  so as not to shock load the drive train. Great idea guys. They could have linked it to the lean angle sensor so it is data dependant but no, if you are leaned over and upshift the power reduction is enough to get the bike yoyoing as the weight moves forward then back again, very unsettling.
On the last leg of the err test track I had the chance to get up some speed and anything over 105mph had it weaving quite alarmingly, not a tank slapper just a weave.
So, would I buy/ recommend one?
Actually yes, for most people who like to go out for a ride on the weekends with their mates, it's probably going to be fine. Good tyres and careful suspension set up will greatly help the handling and ride comfort it good enough to be able to ride all day.
Only 2 things that are a deal breaker, while filtering is possible it’s still not as agile as a two wheeler (maneuverability and turn in is sluggish, think MPV compared to an M3), and then of course there's the price £12,500 for the GT model. For that money you could get a lot more bike either new or second hand.

CB out

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #649 on: 12:48 - 11 August, 2019 »
I still miss the ZX7R, if it wasnt for doing my knees in these days I'd get another one.

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #648 on: 09:54 - 11 August, 2019 »
Remember the old favourites...? The GSXR7-11, ZX7-9R, YZF750-1000Exup...
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline Rob the Nog

• Pie Ninja
  • Like a post? 103
« Reply #647 on: 07:40 - 11 August, 2019 »
Even the FZ1 engine is detuned so a full on R1 engine would be very interesting :)

Offline Readmarx

• "these monster whopper bum drillers must be stopped"
  • King of Cake
  • Like a post? 87
  • Bikes, ale & French actresses
« Reply #646 on: 01:41 - 11 August, 2019 »
I’d like to see that!
Mother Nature rides a biker

Offline CoxyLaad

• testing
  • Fudge Brownie
  • Like a post? 31
  • hello?
    • www.peterleefire.co.uk
« Reply #645 on: 00:55 - 11 August, 2019 »
I'm imagining! Get on it!
___________________ __